Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Never-ending tummy bug?

(18 Posts)
mummmypirate Sun 05-Oct-14 18:02:42

Been feeling pretty rotten with what I assume is a virus for 10 days now - major queasiness (though never actually sick), loose, pale bowel movements (initially full on diarrhoea) and pounding headache. Everyday I'll have a few hours where I feel normal and then bam! the symptoms are back. Can't think it's worth bothering GP with this but would really like to start feeling better soon - never had a tummy lurgy go on so long. Any MN wisdom to draw on?

RockinD Sun 05-Oct-14 19:56:18

10 days is too long - go to the doc. Probably nothing to worry about, but may be time for a culture and antibiotics.

mummmypirate Mon 06-Oct-14 17:26:20

Took your advice and headed to Gp who ordered blood tests and stool sample... still feeling sick sick sick

runlikeagirl Mon 06-Oct-14 21:55:00

I've had this since sat. Diarrhea, then terrible headache, and nausea all the time. Also feel washed and a bit spaced out. Every so often feel a bit better and then wham, feel rubbish again.

BargainHunter76 Tue 07-Oct-14 07:59:16

I came back from India and just wasn't right for a few months. My Polish friend told me to eat pickled veg with my dinner. I did for two weeks (the stuff you find in jars in Lidl) and it totally cleared up. It has to do with gut bacteria and PH (acidity). I subsequently read the same thing in the Paleo Diet. Hope that helps.

mummmypirate Sat 11-Oct-14 18:53:06

Me again, 2 1/2 weeks later and still got awful nausea and intermittent diarrhoea. Took blood and stool sample on Monday, and GP said they would be in touch with any results that needed action - haven't heard anything. Feel truly pathetic. Surviving on child portions, Coke and probiotics. I'm going to fade to nothing at this rate.

juneau Sat 11-Oct-14 18:58:30

Soft, pale stools after diarrhea are quite normal IME. Just take probiotics (and I don't mean Yakult, I mean a heavy-duty capsule-type one with billions of the little buggers in there), and stick to bland foods. Avoid fat and dairy, as much as you can, as these are hard to digest, or at least try to go lactose-free.

Mintyy Sat 11-Oct-14 19:00:00

Have you thought about a food intolerance or allergy?

Have a google at coeliac disease maybe?

RockinD Sat 11-Oct-14 19:13:06

Call your docs on Monday - don't wait for them to call you - and if they say all your tests are clear, ask them what else they can do for you. Don't let it lie.

Pud2 Tue 14-Oct-14 10:19:58

I have something similar but am only on day 4! Am feeling better today though so hopeful that it's on the way out. Still have a stomach that's churning like a washing machine. Are you feeling any better OP?

IHeartKingThistle Tue 14-Oct-14 10:35:46

Oh OP it's so awful, I had this and the full gamut of tests which were inconclusive, though mine started after norovirus. I was poorly for a long time in the end but what helped the nausea was fairly high dose omeprazole daily (started on 20mg but needed 40) and not eating dairy - think the bug made me intolerant for a while. Really hope you feel better soon.

Wolfbasher Tue 14-Oct-14 10:40:42

Did the blood tests include a test for coeliac disease? Your symptoms sound pretty typical of that. If not, ask the doctor to do one asap.

iamthedanger Thu 16-Oct-14 17:27:29

Sorry to jump in on your thread op but just wondered if you were over this now?
I'm on day 4 with pretty much the same symptoms and my son had it last week and still doesn't seem 100%.

blanklook Sat 18-Oct-14 11:09:56

Bargainhunter it's not the pickled veg you need, it's the fermented veg like sauerkraut, there's a difference smile That's what gives good gut bacteria.

So much easier to make at home but you need about 5 days to get it ready to eat.

Any type of yogurt labelled 'live' will also help re-establish good gut bacteria too.

tally86 Sun 19-Oct-14 15:36:13

Hello. I'm so glad I've found this post, I've been searching all over the internet to try and find out what's wrong with me with no such luck. I feel almost exactly the same. This is my ninth consecutive day of suffering with extreme nausea without vomiting. My stomach does not feel right either. Whether I eat or not doesn't seem change anything. I've had to be off work because I literally can't do anything without feeling ill. Went to gp on Wednesday to get the usual 'it's probably a viral infection' but seriously how long can it possibly go on for ? I'm going back tomorrow. I'm 28 weeks pregnant so its concerning me a little more than it normally would. How are you now mummypirate ?

CharlotteInBlue Tue 11-Nov-14 13:20:32

Does anybody else have this virus? It is really a pain. Extreme nausea, no energy, hardly able to eat anything except toast, crackers. Started 2 weeks ago with my DS, then 3 days later I caught it. It kept coming back with wine or dairy. Finally it seemed to go, then last week my DS got it again with me 3 days later AGAIN! I have to go back to bed as extreme nausea and dizziness, aches, weakness. Anyone else?

inthename Wed 12-Nov-14 09:31:35

yes, ds had this last week, managed to share it with me, was ok for a few days and now hes off sick again (think school think I'm making it up!) seems to start up again the minute you eat anything remotely normal!

CharlotteInBlue Wed 12-Nov-14 13:02:19

Yes inthename, it appears to not like dairy or wine! Cereal and milk in the morning really set it off. I feel better today, just, but had two days feeling so nauseas. I read that stomach viruses strip away the good bacteria in the gut and you need to replace it either with probiotics or live yoghurt. I will do that as soon as I have the energy to hit the supermarket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now