Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Horrible, agonising, recurring but infrequent leg pain

(42 Posts)
Asleeponasunbeam Wed 17-Sep-14 07:08:20

I just don't know where to turn. I was awake since midnight with a recurring pain, that has now gone again, leaving me utterly exhausted today.

It's on the outside of my ankle, deep inside. It doesn't feel muscular or tendon related. It isn't linked to exercise, I can't replicate it at other times, nothing makes it worse or better. It lasts for hours, usually at night.

It's the worst pain I've ever had (worse than giving birth).

It happens maybe once every 6 weeks or so and obviously I feel crap afterwards as I've not slept.

Doesn't help at all that DH is a doctor and clearly thinks I'm talking bollocks...

Eva50 Thu 18-Sep-14 15:36:16

Could it be sciatica? Is it like toothache? I get ankle pain sometimes and I'm sure it's from my back?

MiddletonPink Thu 18-Sep-14 18:09:30

Sounds awful. I have no idea what it is sorry but I would get it checked out.

How do you feel otherwise?

Asleeponasunbeam Fri 19-Sep-14 06:19:22

Weirdly it does feel like toothache I think! I'll look up sciatica.

I feel fine otherwise. I'm training for a half marathon in a few weeks. This started before I started running and I'm convinced it's not related - no pattern (not after a run, not after new shoes etc, just random).

Elibean Fri 19-Sep-14 11:28:13

I had an episode a bit like this. Every now and then my ankle would be painful to the point of not being able to put my foot on the ground, and it felt as though the joint wouldn't 'work' properly - a bit like I imagined a dislocated joint to feel, though that is pure fantasy as never experienced it!

Anyway, the weird thing was it would disappear as suddenly as it came. I saw a physio, who said sometimes teeny particles of cartilage can wear off and float around and then sometimes get 'stuck' in some part of the joint - usually ankles. It then unsticks.

But I have to say, mine was very much when I put my foot on the ground, rather than at rest. Though a movement at night could dislodge a particle, I guess.

I get sciatica too, but don't feel it in my ankle - more like under my foot.

Thumbwitch Fri 19-Sep-14 11:33:00

Not sciatica, not on the outside of your ankle joint - the sciatic nerve runs down the back of your leg and under your foot. Wouldn't cause that agonisingly sharp pain either.

Have you been checked for arthritis?

Asleeponasunbeam Sat 01-Nov-14 07:07:55

Just searched for this thread to find out when I last had the pain as I had it again last night - and now, it hasn't gone away. I've been awake with it since 3am.

DH listening now. But he has no idea what it is.

joanofarchitrave Sat 01-Nov-14 07:14:59

If you have pain that wakes you up, you need to talk to your doctor (not your DH!)

Sounds like you need an orthopaedic referral?

Asleeponasunbeam Sat 01-Nov-14 07:22:45

The problem with that is that the pain wouldn't be there when I saw a doctor! I'd just be describing something that happens sometimes.

joanofarchitrave Sat 01-Nov-14 07:24:33

Well, that's OK, they are there to take a history. Pain that wakes you is one of the things they should take seriously IMO.

Asleeponasunbeam Sat 01-Nov-14 07:28:26

I'm worried they'd refer me to DH's clinic! And he has no idea.

joanofarchitrave Sat 01-Nov-14 07:52:02

Ah ok, so DH is an orthopod?

You should be able to choose and book a different clinic...

TBH your GP might have other ideas - I am very definitely not a doctor.

Asleeponasunbeam Sat 01-Nov-14 07:55:16

Nah, he's a neurologist. But we don't think it's boney.

joanofarchitrave Sat 01-Nov-14 08:18:42

Fair enough. Why not let your GP have a good look?

Asleeponasunbeam Sat 01-Nov-14 08:20:14

I think I will. This is the longest it's lasted - overnight and into the next day. It's going to affect my weekend and I'm glad I'm not at work today.

Asleeponasunbeam Tue 04-Nov-14 09:37:29

I have a GP appointment today. Not sure what I'm going to say - feel quite embarrassed about it. It just sounds so pathetic.

TheSpottedZebra Tue 04-Nov-14 09:43:32

Being woken up by a pain - repeatedly- and hen trying to do something about it is not pathetic at all.

Best of luck with your appt.

TheSpottedZebra Tue 04-Nov-14 09:44:08

and then'. Not hen.

ppeatfruit Tue 04-Nov-14 13:42:24

Do you eat any pork products? DH had this and stopped eating any pork, he's fine until he 'forgets' and it starts again.

Or other acid forming foods like vinegar, cashew nuts, tea and coffee.etc.

Asleeponasunbeam Tue 04-Nov-14 20:58:15

He referred me for an X-ray and ultrasound.

Didn't help fix the pain though, which had me in tears today and is excruciating at the moment.

Asleeponasunbeam Tue 04-Nov-14 21:00:21

Hadn't considered anything food related, thanks ppeatfruit

generaltilney Tue 04-Nov-14 22:27:00

I just mention that dh had agonising gout develop suddenly, and it turned out that the culprit was the cod liver oil capsules he'd started taking. So another food issue.

RubySparks Tue 04-Nov-14 23:10:51

Shin splints?

www.nhs.uk/conditions/shin-splints/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Excitedforxmas Tue 04-Nov-14 23:16:58

Gout maybe?

FrontForward Tue 04-Nov-14 23:24:56

The pain you describe is similar to a deep bone ache I had with a stress fracture. (I know you say it was a problem pre running). it was always at night and it was like toothache deep in the bone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now