Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Skin problem - do I take this to a Doctor or a beauty salon?

(3 Posts)
mslion Tue 17-Jun-14 11:47:55

Bit gross sorry, but I have an open pore right in the middle of my back between my shoulder blades (i.e. the most inaccessible bit of my entire body!) I'd completely forgotten about it for years, but suddenly it has filled up and turned into a massive red lump on my back. Is it infected? Should I see a doctor? Or would that be wasting their time for what is in essence a massive blackhead?

I'm sure I've read somewhere that beauticians can clean it out for you, but how would you go about asking - it's hardly something they include on a salon price list is it?

Or if I ignore it, will it go down again (hopeful?)

Any advice welcome.

BigBroIsWatching Tue 17-Jun-14 11:51:53

Definitely GP! Doesn't matter what it is but they are medically trained. It's possibly a sebaceous cyst.

mslion Tue 17-Jun-14 12:30:14

Well I don't think it's a sebaceous cyst as I've had those on my head and they weren't squeezable in the same way as this is. My mum used to clean it out for me when I was a teenager and I seem to remember DH once had a go at it.

I think you are right though - if there's any chance it has got infected then Docs is prob the way to go.


Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now