Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hip Pain

(10 Posts)
DrizzlyTuesday Sun 20-Apr-14 23:17:06

I'm 20 and I get a reoccurring hip pain that almost feels like it's coming/come out of the socket when I stretch my legs into a V position. It's not all the time but it seems to be getting worse. I felt it when I was walking the other day and couldn't work out what I'd done to cause it as I'd been walking normally.

Possible TMI but it seems to happen most during sex but not doing outlandish positions.

Is it worth going to the GP or is this normal?

flow4 Mon 21-Apr-14 11:58:22

Are you hypermobile? That feeling of a joint 'almost coming out of its socket' is very familiar. I think it's called 'hip dysplasia' when it does come out. And if you're hypermobile, it's not unusual for it to be 'worse' during sex, because the hormones you release then (relaxin?) have a further relaxing effect on your joints.

It probably is worth mentioning to your GP, but not urgently. They can give you an idea of what they think it is, and if it is dysplasia, it should be on record for future pregnancies/childbirth, possible sports injuries and arthritis risk. Good luck!

flow4 Mon 21-Apr-14 12:09:19

If you don't know whether you're hypermobile, you might find this booklet useful:

lfoatw2 Mon 21-Apr-14 17:50:49

i have exactly the same problem - now 27 and has been an issue for years. I am on my second year of physio which is helping massively but they still aren't sure what the problem is. Mri scans show the bone is fine but my pelvis is rotated forwards which doesn't help. the biggest help for me has been endless hours of work strengthening my upper leg and back muscles (at least an hour a day of specific exercises).. i am not hypermobile but i am super flexible apparently..

DrizzlyTuesday Mon 21-Apr-14 21:10:16

I don't know if I'm hypermobile but the pain and to a degree stiffness sound familiar. Recently when I try to do things like high kicks my hips will click as they move.

Think I will go the GP when I can.

2kidsintow Tue 22-Apr-14 22:02:28

Do go and ask.
I had this. It felt like it was almost dislocating after certain positions. I was given an x ray and referred to a physio. They said I was slightly hypermobile. The physio helped with some of the pain, but the problem didn't go away and in fact got worse.

A long way down the road of treatment, I've finally seen a consultant who has said that the ball of my hip joint on one side is thicker and not as rounded on one side so it catches in certain movements. I need a steroid injection to see if that helps, then perhaps keyhole surgery to shave away the excess bone.

DrizzlyTuesday Wed 23-Apr-14 23:26:51

Since I posted this the pain seems to have started to move into other joints, although I'm starting to doubt myself on it. My hip pain has started to happen more often when I'm walking around. Need to try and get a GPs appointment tomorrow but feel a bit silly going in and saying that my hip hurts.

flow4 Thu 24-Apr-14 23:52:27

Get an X-ray of your hip and anything else that hurts badly. I spent almost 2 years going to my GP saying my joints hurt, especially my hip... They just offered my anti-depressants, but when I finally saw a rheumatologist and had X-rays, it turned out I have hypermobility syndrome, arthritis in many different joints and severe arthritis in my hip. sad

onlyfortonight Fri 25-Apr-14 00:04:07

Do you get a catching sensation and sudden weakness when you get the pain? Do you have any other pain in that area, for example, hip pain, buttock pain or groin pain?

There is a condition called femoral acetabular impingement which causes the sensation you describe. It is often associated with hyper mobility and a high level of exercise (it is 'common' amongst footballers and elite atheletes, but it can happen to very active adults).

Go to the GP and ask to be referred to a sports physio. It is often diagnosed quite late - once there has been significant injury to the cartilage - so if you feel that this fits your symptoms, it would be worth telling the GP about your concerns.

DrizzlyTuesday Mon 28-Apr-14 00:04:10

Am having blood tests done for arthritis this week.

Onlyfortonight could something like this be triggered by starting to do a harder fitness routine than usual? I've always exercised but have been doing much higher impact exercise than I used to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now