Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Carpal Tunnel surgery experiences?

(3 Posts)
Fuzzymum1 Fri 11-Apr-14 22:02:07

I have had carpal tunnel symptoms for a few years, about 18 months ago I had the conductivity tests done which confirmed it in both hands, worse in my dominant hand.

I have had three steroid injections in that time which have helped temporarily but the symptoms keep coming back. I do have osteoarthritis in multiple joints including my hands.

My GP is starting to talk about surgery. I know it's a fairly simple procedure (I watched it through my fingers on youtube) but I was wondering about the recovery time etc. I'm only considering having my dominant hand done - I get some numbness in the other one but it's better than the dominant one, even without having had steroids. Any personal experiences?

How about work? I'm a teaching assistant so nothing too heavy and I can walk to work, how long am I likely to be out of the classroom?

Thanks

CMOTDibbler Fri 11-Apr-14 22:28:12

If you are having issues in both hands, then I'd have both done at once tbh - assuming there is someone you could borrow to do everything for 3 days. Both my mum and neighbour had both done at once.

2 weeks off I'd guess.

wildpoppy Sun 11-Jan-15 23:07:56

Old thread so you may have done it already but having had one at a time done no way would I do both at once. I couldn't use hand for several days and at least having one hand ok meant I could wipe my own bum etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now