Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stood on rusty nail, do I need tetanus booster?

(12 Posts)
Birdsighland Sat 05-Apr-14 23:28:30

Just wondering if I should get a tetanus booster. I last had tetanus shot about 20 yrs ago. I stood on a rusty nail today in the garden and it really stabbed into my foot. I had to lift my leg and physically pull it out. I am immunosuppressed.

Would I have any cover from my very long ago shot?

Wittsend13 Sat 05-Apr-14 23:29:17

Same thing happened to me last year and yes you will need one?

Paddington68 Sat 05-Apr-14 23:29:46

get a booster

Diamondcassis Sat 05-Apr-14 23:34:01

You need booster

DramaAlpaca Sat 05-Apr-14 23:34:21

Ouch. This happened to me about ten years ago. It had gone in quite deep, I had to pull it out & it was bloody painful.

I went to the doctor's to get a tetanus booster as soon as I could. I was also given antibiotics. I'm not one to rush to the GP very often and I rarely take antibiotics, but I thought it was necessary in this case.

I really think you should get medical advice, especially as you are immuno-suppressed.

Birdsighland Sat 05-Apr-14 23:35:18

Thanks, wondering if I should go to A&E or should I wait to see doc on monday (trouble with doc is sometimes impossible to get an appointment).

Fromhappytosad123 Sat 05-Apr-14 23:39:04

I'd go to A&E .

PenguinBear Sat 05-Apr-14 23:41:42

Get the shot sooner rather than later. Hope you're okay op smile

DramaAlpaca Sat 05-Apr-14 23:44:26

Go to A&E, but I'm sure you'll be OK to wait until tomorrow when it's quieter - it's Saturday night & it'll be bedlam in there.

Birdsighland Sat 05-Apr-14 23:44:29

Thanks. I'm fine 'cos it only happened this afternoon. I'll go tomorrow.

Megbeth Sun 06-Apr-14 03:22:13

Yes my husband did the same. I think a tetanus lasts 10 years so you will need a booster.

hoboken Sun 06-Apr-14 04:14:08

Did the same. The foot swelled up during the evening. I went to a walk-in centre. Was x rayed, the wound was cleaned and I was given a tetanus injection - my last had been 15 years previously. Excellent care - I did not wait long but it was not Saturday night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now