Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Should I go to work with a cold?

(8 Posts)
Floppityflop Wed 02-Apr-14 20:56:24

I have been criticised for going into work with a cold because of pregnant women and people with important events coming up. But, as I see it, surely you can't take sick leave for a cold and in any event colds don't cause birth defects! The only people who will suffer more are those who are immunosuppressed and that includes myself so, quite frankly, why should I care? And surely sick leave is only for when you can't get out of bed or out of the bathroom?

gobbin Wed 02-Apr-14 21:03:11

That is my opinion too. Imagine the Bradford Factor scores if we were off every time we had a cold. I'd be sacked for absenteeism.

Littlefish Wed 02-Apr-14 21:04:17

I agree with you.

Frontdoorstep Wed 02-Apr-14 21:49:44

I agree with you too. I've never stayed off with a cold.

shallweshop Wed 02-Apr-14 21:59:52

I agree too. The common cold is just that - extremely common! The cold virus is everywhere and there is no avoiding it. I think the country would come to a standstill if every employee decided to take time off when they had a cold.

brettgirl2 Thu 03-Apr-14 09:13:52

What is the problem with a preg woman catching a cold? confused .

Unless you are a nurse on a cancer ward or something yanbu

MeepMeepVroooom Thu 03-Apr-14 09:20:02

I agree. I quite simply can't afford to take time off for a cold. I'd end up sacked if I took time off every time I had a sniffle!

crazykat Thu 03-Apr-14 09:20:55

If I had to take time off just for a cold I'd be off most days from mid September to mid April thanks to my germ factories DCs bringing every cough and cold home from school.

Unless you work in icu/nicu/or an oncology ward it would be ridiculous to take time off for every cough and cold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now