Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Red spots (petechiae?) Should I be worried?

(12 Posts)
rivierliedje Wed 02-Apr-14 15:05:32

For a few months now I've found more and more tiny red spots. They definitely look like tiny drops of blood, not freckles. Some are a bit bigger than others and they're all over my arms, legs and I've just noticed some on my chest.

I've also been incredibly tired lately. I've never needed much sleep, always been a morning person and I've been sleeping for up to 12 hours these past few months.

My mind immediately jumped to leukemia (because I'm a worrier and my mind always jumps to doom and gloom diagnoses grin). That's unlikely, isn't it?

Other options I had thought of are vitamin B12 deficiency (but I take vitamins so that shouldn't be the case), some random viral infection (no fever, no other symptoms) and anemia (but I'm not particularly pale and I haven't noticed being shorter of breath when running).

No need to worry yet, right? Any ideas?

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 02-Apr-14 15:09:25

I would pay a visit to the GP and get their advice.

Twunk Wed 02-Apr-14 19:20:36

I am not an expert on leukaemia but my son has it and so I know a reasonable amount. It IS a symptom so I would go to the doctors as a simple blood test would rule it out. You seem well though, and if you are running I would hazard that it's unlikely.

Really you should go to your GP and see if they want to do a blood test.

barleysugar Wed 02-Apr-14 19:26:58

I get these when my platelets are low, esp in pregnancy. Def needs a full blood count doing.

Handsup Wed 02-Apr-14 21:12:13

I had petechiae on and off, started panicking but realised the spots only appeared when I scratched. The doctor wasn't too concerned as fbc was normal but I still remained tired and itchy. Are the red spots definitely petechiae? Do they remain if pressed by a glass?

Canihaveaslice Wed 02-Apr-14 21:41:04

Are you taking any anti depressants as that can be a side effect

TheSteveMilliband Wed 02-Apr-14 21:48:24

Could they be spider naevi? (sorry, on ipad and can't link but try google images). I got loads when I was pregnant blush

Canihaveaslice Wed 02-Apr-14 22:07:31

I have had some develop on me since taking ad's I prob have about ten all over my body, they're scattered about and only noticeable when I look for them.
They look like small little drops of blood.
I think they're these but smaller. They're called cherry angio,
Petechia is the 2 nd pic
Never thought to ask the go about them, now you've got me worried!

Handsup Wed 02-Apr-14 22:28:45

I have a couple of cherry angio's under my breast. I think these tend to remain once you have them whereas petechiae disappears after 3 days (don't quote me). When I had petechiae, the spots were lighter in colour (almost purplish) and smaller.

rivierliedje Thu 03-Apr-14 10:33:35

Thanks everyone.
I'm not taking anything and definitely not pregnant. I've seen spider naevi and it's not that. They don't go away when pressed with a glass.
I'm pretty sure they're petechiae, except they're really tiny, only about a millimeter. I've had similar before (some slightly larger), but at the time I figured out they appeared after every choir rehearsal in which we spent a lot of time slapping thighs/clapping etc, but those alway vanished after a few days.

I will go to the doctor, I'm just having trouble finding time to go. I'm currently abroad and will have zero control over working hours when I get back, until September.

BigPawsBrown Thu 03-Apr-14 10:42:32

You can get these when you've had a virus - purpuri something. I had them following glandular fever. Could be that?

Sidoinn Mon 13-Feb-17 13:03:42

Hi there! I have found some of the petechia dots on my son's body..more on belly,some on legs. They usually fade after few days,but then comes new ones.. They are very small and not in clusters. Otherwise my kid is well..does anyone have idea what it can be? We are waiting for blood test be done now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now