Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eczema is getting me down

(24 Posts)
nannynewo Tue 01-Apr-14 15:37:59

I really didn't know where else to do this but I am in desperate need of a major rant!!! Does anyone else just sometimes get really depressed about living with eczema? I mean, I have had it all my life and should be able to know how to keep it under control but I am having one of those few weeks where it has flared up and it is really really getting me down. The thing is, I can handle it being on my hands, legs etc... it is my face that gets me upset sad I can't cover it up because it is so dry and flaky and make up just draws more attention to it. I just feel so ugly and depressed with it sad
I don't really know what I am after, I guess I just needed to rant and hope feeling like this is normal? Any tips too?

Please note, I do know that there are worse problems to face in the world, my own mother had cancer and I know life could be a lot worse for me, but it doesn't stop me feeling upset about it. And I don't like moaning to other people too much.
Sorry sad

DrewsWife Tue 01-Apr-14 15:53:31

I've always had excema. I feel your pain literally.

What I recently discovered is moisturise. Over moisturise. Even when your skin feels soft. If I don't I flare.

I use veil cover makeup. There is a Facebook page. It doesn't settle. It doesn't flake off. It hides. And allows me to be me.

I use dermovate on bad days. It knocks it on the head. I also use my steroid creams as ointment not cream as the don't dry my skin out

nannynewo Tue 01-Apr-14 16:06:57

Thanks for your post.

As you wrote that, I put some more moisturiser on smile I use cetraben for moisturiser and today have been putting it on quite a lot.

Thanks so much for the tip about veil make up, I just took a look at their page and will definitely sample it.

Is dermovate as strong as a steroid? I have elocon steroid cream which one doctor told me was fine to use on the face so long as I don't use it too often but another told me not to as it thins the skin and can leave scars. so now I am a little scared, so the last two days (where it has been really really bad) I have just been using cetraben.

DrewsWife Tue 01-Apr-14 16:22:54

I am 37. My skin has never thinned Elocon is ok if it's a tiny patch.

I use epaderm and 50/50. The last one is super oily and greasy but totally worth it.

The veil cover you can get on prescription. Get referred to dermatology department

DrewsWife Tue 01-Apr-14 16:24:49

Dermovate I use sparingly. I prefer to knock it on the head than pussy foot around with woosy creams.

Been with this condition toooooo long to tread lightly lol. At the moment it's at ankle and top of my foot. Wet so it's infected. Am hitting it with 2 days of dermovate and it will clear. I know my skin welll

nannynewo Tue 01-Apr-14 16:34:54

Thank you and it's great to know about the veil cover on prescription. Sorry for yet another question, but do you use dermovate on your face? I have a docs appointment next week so will be discussing lots of options with them.

DrewsWife Tue 01-Apr-14 16:39:47

I use it ever so thinly. But whatever you do don't say that to them. Elocon is fine but you sometimes need stronger.

Referral to derm is the way to go.

shallweshop Tue 01-Apr-14 16:41:08

My DS has eczema. A turning point for us was roughly a year ago when I found Cetaphil Restoraderm Skin Restoring Body Moisturiser. It really works for DS. I was using Epaderm on him two or three times a day and having to use steroid cream several times a week (betnovate RD, Elecon, Fucibet). Once we started the Cetaphil, I found I cut cut right own on steroids and now use them one a week if that.

It's such a lovely consistency compared to Epaderm too - just like a really nice light body moisturiser but keeps the skin hydrated.

shallweshop Tue 01-Apr-14 16:42:08

DS is 7 by the way and has had eczema since he was 6 months old.

RockinD Tue 01-Apr-14 18:12:02

Dermol 500 has done the trick for me. It fixed in 2 weeks what steroid cream from the GP had failed to fix in the best part of a year.

Again, it's not sticky so it's pleasant to use.

NCFTTB Tue 01-Apr-14 20:48:30

I have had eczema all my life and it gets me down too.

janesaysl Tue 01-Apr-14 20:56:43

I could have written your post and know exactly how you feel, mine is awful at the moment too, maybe it's the time of year? Some people do try to be kind but many more 'work mates' comment in a loud 'why is your face so red?!' Makes me really hmm I wish I had helpful advice but in honesty I've tried everything and some things do work for a while... I recently managed 6months with very little eczema... But it always comes back.

nannynewo Tue 01-Apr-14 21:08:01

Thanks for all the replies, I really am taking on board everyone's tips and will be mentioning things to the doctor next week.

janesaysl I know exactly what you mean. When I was in school it was worse, most people knew I had it and didn't mention anything, but one boy was very mean about it and said a horrible comment. I nearly missed my own birthday party once because it was so so bad, all my friends would say 'it's really not as bad as you think' but I am not blind, I have mirrors and I can see it looks awful. I appreciate they are trying to be nice but they really would not be saying those things in my shoes. I know I am having a really bad day today and I guess I just wanted somewhere to rant where other people know how it feels and won't judge me for feeling down. Feel free to rant too everyone!

nannynewo Tue 01-Apr-14 21:09:01

When I say birthday party, it was more a night out. I am now an adult and this didn't happen too long ago!

ishouldcocoa Tue 01-Apr-14 21:16:26

I'm not sure where you are based, but i had a fairly miraculous recovery aged about 25 having had eczema all may life.

It got even worse when I got stressed about it - vicious cycle, really...

Having tried all the steroid creams etc, homeopathy, cutting out dairy - you name it - I found myself near Neals Yard in London and decided to go and see a chinese doctor across the counter.

She checked my tongue, and my pulses (yes, the plural!) and prescribed me some pretty evil smelling and tasting tea, and told me to come back in a week having finished it.

It started to work after day 4, and by day 7 I was experiencing a real improvement. It took about 6 months (and a bit of acupuncture with the same lady) and I was cured.

I'm now 47 and hardly ever have a flair up.

I don't even have steroid cream in my medicine cabinet.

janesaysl Tue 01-Apr-14 21:18:43

I've done that too! many times I've backed out of nights out due to my skin. Yesterday at work I thought I'd done a good job of moisturising and makeup, popped to the loo and noticed in the mirror a big skin flake next to my lip, extra attractive due to the foundation clinging to it shock

janesaysl Tue 01-Apr-14 21:20:39

Sorry cross post, I meant the cancelling nights out not acupuncture! Tho maybe I should try that

onedogatoddlerandababy Tue 01-Apr-14 21:21:09

You have my sympathy, mine has driven me to tears. The pain, the itching and scratching...does your surgery have an asthma/eczema nurse?
The thing is, is that there are sooo many creams available for treating eczema, you may have to try many to find something that really works for you.

For me diprobase was awful, cetraban was no good, dermol 500 better, but using epaderm ointment has fixed it for now, was using loads but now only a small amount to wash with and onto skin once a day post shower (as opposed to morning, noon and evening). Interesting epaderm cream was useless. Not used any steroid cream for almost a year.

Good luck with finding something that really works for you smile

PlantsAndFlowers Tue 01-Apr-14 21:42:00

I love Aveeno cream as a general moisturiser. Really helps extend the times I don't have to use Betnovate.

For me the worst times are when it flares up somewhere completely new.

nannynewo Tue 01-Apr-14 21:54:08

wow I am amazed by all the responses. It really is helping me, thanks so much guys!

janesaysl I swear you must be my twin in the world! I am exactly the same...I think I have covered up great then look in the mirror 2 hours later and it's all blotchy and sore!

Thanks ishould what was the name of the tea?

Aveeno seems to be quite a popular suggestion so I may try that out.

For those of you who get a flare up, would you say it is best to keep on moisturising during the flare up, or use a steroid cream with moisturiser? I have been moisturising all day, but am thinking now of washing my face and applying some steroid cream followed by some moisturiser in about half an hour?

seoda24 Wed 02-Apr-14 00:27:18

I feel for you... I know what you are going through and you just cannot hide it.I have severe eczema but am not bad past few months.However, it is something you cannot hide, especially when it is on your face.I used to dread comments like oh you were in the sun?? Hence my red burning facesad!!Anyway you are not alone and I secretly love an eczema discussion as it is good to hear how others cope.I notice lots of replies here saying they tried to cover up with makeup.If I tried makeup on my face I would end in hospital, that's the reality.I would just love a makeover and look a million dollars but I doubt I will ever see that day.Hope you improve, it could be so much worse x

ishouldcocoa Wed 02-Apr-14 16:38:44

nanny - it was a tea that the doctor mixed up for me especially. It was basically a brown powder that I mixed with boiling water and drunk before bed every night.

Not sure where you are, but if you're in London, pm me - I can give you the details

potatofactory Wed 02-Apr-14 18:59:56

I have been put on an immunosuppressant drug (by a dermatology consultant) as my skin was so awful I was off work for seven weeks.

Now... I have no eczema at all, and no side effects either. Being referred is important, as all options are known about.

I also saw a fantastic team of dermatology nurses who run a clinic locally - infinitely better than a GP - eczema / skin is all they do.

mumof4teens Sat 05-Apr-14 15:08:08

After having eczema my entire life & knowing how disabling it can be both physically & mentally I wanted to drop a note to tell you how mine improved.
It may not be for everyone & I certainly don't want to be evangelical about it, but for me it was giving up wheat.
In all the years that I had been going to doctors for steroids and to the hospital to see the consultants with an ever growing collection of creams and potions nobody ever suggested there was a link.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now