Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How can I NOT change Drs?

(10 Posts)
Mirandasbestmate Tue 01-Apr-14 13:11:54

Have just moved a mile up the road & know that I'm now out of catchment area. Have an appt for a smear test so I have to tell them my new address for the results letter but I want to stay with the same Dr as she is fantastic. Other than lie through my teeth, do I have any options?
Thank you!

maiacam Tue 01-Apr-14 13:31:20

Speak to the doctor direct or pay for private consultations x

trinity0097 Tue 01-Apr-14 17:00:00

Didn't thin they have catchment areas any more? I moved and am now firmly closer to another surgery, as in in the same village. Hubby and I still registered with doctors 2 villages away (right by my work)

tallulah Tue 01-Apr-14 18:16:55

Depends on your doctor. Ours has a very strict catchment area, and my DS who now has his own place has to use our address to be able to stay with our practice.

fairbalance Tue 01-Apr-14 19:18:44

Keep quite until Oct the government should then be removing GP boundaries. Its part of this years GP Contract deal. Do you have a friends/relative address you can use until then?

ajandjjmum Tue 01-Apr-14 19:20:23

My GP allowed us to stay with them although we moved 3-4 miles away. I think it's at their discretion. Why not speak to your GP directly rather than a receptionist?

fairbalance Tue 01-Apr-14 19:23:42

Be careful speaking to your GP if she is Salaried GP and not a Partner she will not have the authority to keep you on. If its a large GP Partnership keeping you will almost certainly be discussed at a Practice Meeting and the GP who wants to keep you on may be overruled.

mercibucket Tue 01-Apr-14 19:39:16

get post redirected?
phone for results?

fairbalance Tue 01-Apr-14 19:42:56

Yes post redirected and set up a VOIP phone number you can do if it for free at www.Sipgate.co.uk It will take voicemails for free and email you. YOu need the basic/residential package. It offers all STD codes or just give the Surgery your mobile number. Loads of patients just us mobile numbers now.

GirlsonFilm Tue 01-Apr-14 19:52:06

Yes from October you can live anywhere. ..so keep quiet til then. Do get your post redirected as the surgery should investigate returned post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now