Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

A question about medication for an underactive thyroid

(10 Posts)
ImASecretTwigletNibbler Tue 01-Apr-14 07:55:29

If I took medication for an underactive thyroid, but my thyroid gland was actually fine, what would happen? Would my thyroid levels then be too high or would they just show as normal? Am just asking because I suspect a blood test I had may have been wrong.

there's quite a wide range of 'normal' on the blood tests so even if you were at the low end of normal adding medication might still keep you in the normal range.
what do you think was/is wonky?

ImASecretTwigletNibbler Tue 01-Apr-14 08:38:01

The GP said that my levels were borderline-low but that I could just be having a temporary blip but she put me on meds anyway. So I'm wondering if there's any way of knowing whether it was just a blip or whether I really am underactive.

helzapoppin2 Tue 01-Apr-14 08:43:56

You should probably have another blood test in a month or so.
What dosage did she put you on?

lulublu1981 Tue 01-Apr-14 09:26:45

They would be too high Hun, I had an uncontrollable over active thyroid and I was shaking like a leaf I had to have my thyroid removed in end but doctor gave me too high a medication and I was having fits from it , so I would not reccomend it xx

ImASecretTwigletNibbler Tue 01-Apr-14 10:01:26

I'm on 20mg, helza. I've had a 2nd blood test to see how the meds are affecting it - going to get results tonight.

RockinD Tue 01-Apr-14 11:32:27

20mcg (I suspect if you�re in the UK and it�s thyroxine it�s actually 25mcg) is not even a starting dose and may well make little or no difference anyway.

If you are not hypothyroid and you take a �proper� dose of thyroid replacement, you will have signs and symptoms of hyperthyroidism, which is really not very nice at all. I�ve been a bit over-medicated recently and have dropped down again because of the edgy feeling and the diarrhoea.

This may depend on your GP�s definition of borderline. Ask for a copy of your results, together with the reference rang and post them on the thyroid support thread.

sashh Tue 01-Apr-14 12:03:30

20mg or 20 micrograms? Huge difference.

Your body can tolerate mild 'overdoses' of thyroxine, it is a natural hormone and will just be flushed away (unless you have a serious problem like*lulublu*.

When they do a test they look at the level of thyroxine in your blood but also at TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone).

If your TSH is high and your thyroxine is low it means your brain is asking your body to produce thyroxine but it is not able to produce enough.

If you are taking thyroxine pills your body is getting enough thyroxine so doesn't release TSH so if you do need thyroxine and you are on the right dos your GP can check with a blood test.

Obviously all I have said is for a slightly abnormal thyroid and the correct dose of thyroxine. It can get complicated.

One thing NOT to take is kelp. It is sold as a natural way to help your thyroid but it should only be used if your thyroid is overactive.

Someone I was at uni with kept having different doses of thyroxine prescribed and her GP was recommending she had her thyroid removed. She didn't tell her GP that she was self medicating with kelp.

ImASecretTwigletNibbler Tue 01-Apr-14 12:46:01

Oops, it's another drug I'm on which is 20mg - I'm on 50micrograms of L-thyroxine.

Thanks you all for that advice. So, basically, even though I am already taking L-thyroxine, a blood test will be able to tell whether I really need it or not, yes?

Mrsdavidcaruso Tue 01-Apr-14 20:40:25

can I remind people who take thyroxin to get a medical exemption certificate (see your GP) you then get all prescriptions free not just thyroxin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now