Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Type 1 diabetes and edema -any advice?

(8 Posts)
ali23 Sat 29-Mar-14 19:59:07

DH is type 1 and for the last 6 months has struggled terribly with edema around lower legs and ankles. It has been better at times before returning. He has seen gp but while she has advised no salt, plenty of water and elevated legs, we seem to be getting nowhere. As a young family with kids who need to be taken to n
Burn off energy in the park, this is really affecting us all. Anyone been through this?

paddyclampo Sat 29-Mar-14 22:15:06

I'm type 1 and the only time I had fluid retention was when I was pregnant. Has he had his kidney function checked?

FabULouse Sat 29-Mar-14 22:30:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

ChestyNut Sat 29-Mar-14 22:58:24

Definitely needs bloods checking to look at kidney function.

mercibucket Sat 29-Mar-14 23:04:07

ask for a urine check for protein. only takes a sec.
does his face look puffy when he wakes up?

ali23 Sun 30-Mar-14 11:29:42

Thanks for the advice. GP app to be booked tmrw morning. Hugely worrying and, yes, he does look very puffy in the morning.

mercibucket Sun 30-Mar-14 11:38:51

good luck at gp. get him to take an early morning urine sample in with him if pos.

fiverabbits Mon 31-Mar-14 20:10:49

ALI23

I am type 2 but on insulin and I have swollen ankles especially before bedtime. Can you tell me what the doctor said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now