Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Knee Injury-reassurance/cheering up required

(15 Posts)
Sparklingbrook Sat 29-Mar-14 07:40:35

DS1 (14). He sustained a horrible tackle in lunchtime footy yesterday. Afternoon at A&E with knee three times it's usual size.
Had an XRay which showed 'no obvious fracture'. Got painkillers, crutches and ice pack.

He has just hobbled to the loo and the knee is still enormous. sad Follow up at A&E not til Thursday.

Just wondered if anyone knew how this usually tends to go....

Sparklingbrook Sat 29-Mar-14 09:05:42

Please? sad

Maryz Sat 29-Mar-14 18:58:27

ds2 has done knees and ankles quite a lot. Usually if there is lots of swelling it's ligaments and you are looking at a couple of weeks to walking properly and 4 to 6 for getting back to normal.

So far every time we have thought it was a break it hasn't been. But the twice he thought it was minor, it's been a broken boneconfused

Keep icing, give him nurofen, keep it up and if you can get your hands on nurofen gel that will help.

There is no point in follow up until the swelling has gone down a bit - that's why they leave it a week to have a look.

Sparklingbrook Sat 29-Mar-14 21:44:40

Thanks Maryz. i am a bit worried. He is just as bad today as he was yesterday. He can't put weight on the leg or do stairs.

Did your DS2 have to have loads of time off school?

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 29-Mar-14 21:47:20

No experience but sympathy for him and you!

Sparklingbrook Sat 29-Mar-14 21:49:19

Every time he tries to do anything he gets all frustrated and shouty/tearful.

Thanks OYBBK, i have my Nurse's hat on and doing what I can.

Maryz Sat 29-Mar-14 21:49:34

Not usually, he's off at the moment because this time it is a break. Normally with ligaments it's 48 hours of agony, and then it gradually clears up, so he would miss a day at school.

Do give him painkillers though - anti-inflammatories are the best. Keep icing it and keep it up.

Here we have to pay for A&E or the doctor (and even had to buy our own crutches), so normally I don't take him to either any more, but pay for a physio instead. If you get the all clear from a break point of view, see if you can get to see a sports physio. We have to pay, but it's well worth the money if you can find it.

Also, if he's on crutches for a bit pad the handles - the best thing is that foam pipe lagging around the handles, covered with that cloth stuff they use on hockey stick grips! Otherwise his hands will be very sore.

You can tell we've done this a lot [sigh]

Maryz Sat 29-Mar-14 21:50:26

Frustration and tears is normal <sighs more>

Sparklingbrook Sat 29-Mar-14 21:51:16

Thanks Maryz all tips gratefully received. I did think physio at the end of all this.

I just don't know about school on Monday.

Maryz Sat 29-Mar-14 21:58:59

I'd give him the day off. It will cheer him up. Then make him go in on Tuesday and Wednesday. Is it a mixed school? Girls seem to love boys on crutches and offer to carry their books for them. It's seen as a status symbol grin

Interestingly, a lot of schools here don't allow children in with crutches (H&S apparently hmm). ds longs to go to a school like that - he could miss weeks every year.

Sparklingbrook Sat 29-Mar-14 22:01:55

Not thought of that Maryz. Fire hazard or something?
Yes, it's mixed. There does seem to be a lot of stairs from what he says.

I think maybe keep him off and make enquiries on Monday.

Maryz Sat 29-Mar-14 22:02:48

ds's is a rugby school.

If they stopped children on crutches, the school would be empty half the time grin

Sparklingbrook Sat 29-Mar-14 22:04:45

All this hassle, caused by an inappropriate tackle in a lunchtime footy game. sad

mousmous Sat 29-Mar-14 22:13:18

he needs to put absolutely no weight on his leg for the next few days.

leg elevated, ice pack, ibuprofen max dose for his weight (check leaflet).

if the swelling doesn't go down or the pain get worse go back to a&e on monday, if there is a fracture sometimes it will only show up after a few days.

Sparklingbrook Sat 29-Mar-14 22:20:15

Thanks mous. His knee is huge. I am willing it to go down.

I will go back to A&E if things don't improve.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now