Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is there anything I can do about acne scars?

(3 Posts)
ACatCalledColin Fri 28-Mar-14 21:06:29

I had bad acne as a teenager. I had a course of roaccutane when I was about 16 and my skin cleared up really well although I did have some scarring but to be honest at the time I was just so happy not to have acne that I wasn't that bothered about it.

However recently it has been bothering me. Whenever I look in the mirror I am aware that my skin isn't clear and I do have some noticeable scarring which make up can only cover so much of.

Is there anything that can be done? Preferably something I can do myself about them? I would feel so vein going to my GP about this.

HoneyandRum Sat 29-Mar-14 13:26:02

I would see a dermatologist. I think the only permanent way to remove acne scars are laser such as IPL. Microdermabrasion might help temporarily but don't use anything yourself as you are likely to make things worse. These are scars so need professional help. I don't know if you can get this treatment on the NHS. Maybe if it affects you psychologically.

Reinette Sat 29-Mar-14 21:00:01

Mederma worked well for me, though it took a couple of months of using it religiously to see a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now