Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Debilitating PMT

(9 Posts)
lucyintheskywithdinos Fri 28-Mar-14 15:37:45

For two weeks of every month, I am a normal human.

For the two weeks post fertility-pre period I am a horrible human being. It is stopping me doing things. I am absolutely at the end of my rope with myself.

I just growled at my three DDs, switched off the programme they were watching and told them to go away. For no reason.

I am also constantly hungry during these two weeks.

I'm otherwise healthy, not on any hormonal contraceptions, my cycles are just ridiculously intense. When I'm fertile my libido is stupidly high (not helped by being single!), PMT is turning me into an evil monster, I'm always so thankful when my period arrives as I am normal again for a while!

Any ideas?

Sleepwhenidie Fri 28-Mar-14 17:53:45

What's your diet like? Lots of women have amazing results giving up sugar...

Collection Fri 28-Mar-14 18:15:13

I came in just to say it's the sugar Sleep!

Really hard to give up in the weeks immediately prior to AF though, so I'd suggest leaving it until after your period and then going cold turkey. Cut out all refined sugar, white bread and processed food. Some people find they need to cut out fruit too but I never have.

It's not too strong to say it changed my life (and Dh's and Dc's lives)

It's really hard for the first few days, you need to keep very busy, but after 10 days or so I found I really didn't want the sugar anymore.

Sleepwhenidie Fri 28-Mar-14 18:17:50

I believe it Collection, its quite scary when you realise what it is doing to you isn't it! Lucy, I'd definitely start with this and see how the next couple of months go.

glenthebattleostrich Fri 28-Mar-14 18:41:58

Low carb, low sugar diet, exercise and agnus castus.

This combination has saved dh from being stabbed, and no I am not exaggerating.

Sleepwhenidie Fri 28-Mar-14 18:52:04

I think with the low carb thing, yy to cutting right down on the white and processed carbs (potatoes, rice, pasta, bread) - they basically behave the same way as sugar once digested - but have lentils, chickpeas, beans, quinoa, sweet potato instead.

lucyintheskywithdinos Mon 31-Mar-14 14:14:04

Ok, my diet is grain and sugar free (95% of the time!). I lift weights 3x a week and do serious yoga 3x a week too.

Angus castus? I'll try it. I already take a B complex tablet and evening primrose...it just seems to be getting worse each cycle though!

CynicalandSmug Mon 31-Mar-14 14:39:57

I am on depo provera, no periods in 20 blissful years!

MillyONaire Mon 31-Mar-14 14:49:28

I have the same problem but with agonisingly sore breasts and period pains shock for those two weeks too. Tis hell! I run about 30 miles a week so in my case exercise is not helping, I have tried evening primrose oil and vitamin B but that didn't work for me.
Sorry I have nothing helpful to suggest lucy but I am marking my place to see if there is anything as well as Agnus Castus suggested.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now