Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ibuprofen/Paracetamol

(12 Posts)
Collection Fri 28-Mar-14 13:45:25

Ds is going away on week's residential school trip.

I have been asked to complete a form authorising them to administer Paracetamol and/or Ibuprofen (or not) should it be necessary.

I have no issue with this and trust them to decide if he needs it or not but generally (touch wood) he is not a sickly child and has only rarely taken paracetamol in his 13 years. I have never felt the need to give him Ibuprofen.

So, would it be precious of me to make the form "please give paracetamol as preference, as he has never taken Ibuprofen so we don't know if there is any likely reaction?"

Better just to say yes or no? If so, which?

TheGirlFromIpanema Fri 28-Mar-14 13:48:37

If he hasn't ever taken it before it would seem sensible to not tale it on a school trip imo.

I'd add a note as you suggest, they won't mind grin

TheGirlFromIpanema Fri 28-Mar-14 13:48:52

take

grrr

Snowflakepie Fri 28-Mar-14 13:51:57

Just say paracetamol only, that will be fine. There is a reaction to ibuprofen in a small but significant proportion of asthma sufferers so in a school group, I doubt he would be the only one whose parents request this. And make sure he knows that paracetamol is the thing he has had at home, just in case, in the middle of the night, the staff may ask him for example.

Optimist1 Fri 28-Mar-14 13:52:55

Someone with more pharmaceutical knowledge will doubtless be along shortly, but as far as I understand it Ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory so has properties other than just painkilling. So there are situations where it would be the preferred choice of treatment.

You wouldn't be precious to give your consent to both but flagging up the fact that he hasn't previously been given Ibuprofen so can't be sure of its effects in terms of reaction.

Collection Fri 28-Mar-14 13:59:07

Yes, Optimist, that's why I didn't want to just say know.

It's a trip where there is plenty of opportunity for injury shock and in that situation I probably would give Ibuprofen at home but I've never needed to up til now.

Collection Fri 28-Mar-14 13:59:22

know no blush

Optimist1 Fri 28-Mar-14 14:11:50

Just had a thought ... how about giving him Ibuprofen whilst he's still at home and under your observant eye?

Collection Fri 28-Mar-14 14:14:26

Oh, I could Optimist but I haven't got him to 13yo on a handful of parecatmol by being the kind of mum who medicates unnecessarily grin

gobbin Fri 28-Mar-14 17:55:38

As a teacher who takes pupils abroad regularly I would prefer it if you wrote 'Paracetamol only, has never taken ibuprofen'. These are the facts. If he then needed something beyond paracetamol I would consider phoning you before administering it.

In all my years of trips, I've only ever had to give paracetamol three times, treat a daft red-haired told-to-cream-up-endlessly teen for sunstroke, buy a tubigrip in Italy and considered taking one to hospital for suspected broken toe (rang mum, we didn't take the child in the end).

It's fairly unlikely your note would be needed, but write it anyway.

Collection Fri 28-Mar-14 18:05:42

Oh god, I have a daft red-head....but yes, I thought perhaps it would be better to make the decision than ask them to make the call if necessary.

The form actually asks you to say if they can't have Ibuprofen because they're asthmatic though and DS isn't, which is why I got all confused.

gobbin Fri 28-Mar-14 21:14:50

Ibuprofen isn't to be taken by people with certain bowel conditions either so at least the school are aware that there's issues with it. You can never give too much info on a school trip med form in my opinion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now