Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Think I have a virus, how long will I feel this pants

(9 Posts)
ihatethecold Fri 28-Mar-14 12:27:48

It started on wed with a sore throat, that lasted one day.
Yesterday I went to work but felt under the weather, came home at 3 and couldn't move off the sofa under a duvet with the fire going.
Today it feels like someone has taken all my energy away, I look rough.
No temp though. I don't think?
Reduced appetite.
I have to work on Sunday, do I chance it or tell them today I can't work.
They have to find a replacement for me.
Thanks

FantaSea Fri 28-Mar-14 12:37:33

I had something similar in February and mine lasted a good week. The worst of it was the first 4 days or so.

Were you under the duvet with the fire on because you felt cold? That could mean you have a temperature and the reduced appetite is a sign of this too.

All you can do is rest, keep warm and drink lots of fluids. If you have DC then just do the minimum for them to get by.

If this had been me on day 3 of my virus I could have staggered into work on day 5 but it would have been a struggle - will you have to do a lot of standing?

Hope you feel better soon - it's horrible being ill.

ihatethecold Fri 28-Mar-14 12:50:32

I was cold, but I'm always cold.
My dc are old enough to not need much help with stuff.
My work isn't standing up but I have to use my brain.
Sound efficient and cheery.
It's a job that involves Law and order. Although I'm not a police officer.

I couldn't even drag my self out of the door ATM
I'm taking ibrufrofen every 4 hours which is helping.

FantaSea Fri 28-Mar-14 12:56:01

I couldn't do anything for the first few days - it's a nasty virus. Can you take paracetamol and then you could alternate that with the nurofen and that might make you feel a bit better.

When is the latest you can let work know by? Perhaps see how you are tomorrow - 24 hours with some viruses can bring on a big improvement.

ihatethecold Fri 28-Mar-14 13:14:00

I need to say today really.
Over the weekend there is no manager.
Thanks for replying

FantaSea Fri 28-Mar-14 13:18:34

Then I think I would phone and explain today. If you can't get up today it will be very difficult to be sparkling all day on Sunday with the public when all you want to do is lie down. I think that when you are resting at home, watching tv etc. it is easy to think 'oh I'll be ok' but being in work and having to be perfectly fine all day, you may be thinking you wish you hadn't tried.

Good luck.

ihatethecold Fri 28-Mar-14 16:27:24

Cheers fanta.
I have emailed work.
I'm off now.
I can lay in bed for 2 more days now

girliefriend Sat 29-Mar-14 17:11:27

I think I have this, started with sore throat and temp on wed, couldn't get off sofa thurs, struggled through work ystd and feel like crap again today sad was actually sick this morning!!

Am currently in bed while dd plays with her jolly octopus beside me smile

ihatethecold Sat 29-Mar-14 19:56:19

Apparently there is a virus at the moment which sucks the energy out of you.
It takes about a week to clear up.
I don't have a cold as such, it feels like mild flu.
I sometimes feel a bit better, then Start doing some things round the house and regret it 20 mins later then I'm having to go back to bed to recover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now