Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Why can't I stay asleep?

(9 Posts)
basildonbond Fri 28-Mar-14 05:03:26

Every morning for the past week I've woken up really early - yesterday was 4:45 - today I looked at the clock and it was 4:15!!

There's nothing obvious waking me up - no noises I'm aware of and it's not exactly the same time every morning

It's not the light as it's too early still

Once I'm awake I can't go back to sleep so
I'm absolutely knackered. Getting to sleep when I go to bed is no problem as I'm so shattered I'm asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow

Any ideas? It's really starting to get me down

NorksofPlenty Fri 28-Mar-14 05:07:42

No ideas I'm afraid, but this has been me for the past 3 nights too! I'm drinking warm milk and am heading back to bed now to see if I can manage another hour before the dcs wake up.

HexBramble Fri 28-Mar-14 05:09:38

Maintenance insomnia. Once you start the early waking (perhaps there was a physical reason for it/disturbance etc but you quickly form the habit of waking at that time.

Key is to try and interrupt that habit - herbal help, a later bedtime (temporary) or if it persists, GP.

I did years ago and was prescribed a low dose Valium - only for 2 weeks - so I wouldn't become reliant. It worked though.

Now I just wake at silly o clock because of DD's. grin

You have my sympathies OP. It's knackering.

basildonbond Fri 28-Mar-14 10:58:31

Thanks both - I'm trying to stay up later but because I'm so bloody knackered I'm conking out as soon as I try to read etc. I don't drink coffee or normal tea after about 4pm

Will see if herbal remedies make any difference and if not head to the GP

calamitygin Fri 28-Mar-14 11:06:24

how old are you? early morning wakings/broken sleep is one of the signs that you could be peri menopausal like me

ihatethecold Fri 28-Mar-14 11:39:08

I wake early because for 4 days a week my DH gets up very very early for work.

Drives me bonkers, when he is off I'm still waking up at 5 ish.

By the evening I'm knackered.
I crawl into bed and pass out.

basildonbond Fri 28-Mar-14 12:29:55

I am 50 .. But apparently hormone levels nowhere near menopausal (had blood test done few months ago as was hoping to get away with not having new coil ...)

BuzzardBird Fri 28-Mar-14 12:34:47

The only way I can break this similar cycle is to not look at the clock. Try not to open your eyes and going back to sleep will be easier. I suffer with chronic insomnia so am definitely not an expert on how to sleep but 'clock watching' makes me worse.

HexBramble Fri 28-Mar-14 19:24:46

OP - try and ditch the caffeine after 12 if you can, then cut down altogether for an experimental week (although I s'pose caffeine withdrawals will bring it's own set of probs if you drink lots of coffeehmm).

I crash and burn early evening but I'm also anaemic with v short energy reserves. Could be worth a visit to GP for MOT blood tests?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now