Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Binge Eating - what do I say and who do I ask get help to overcome this?

(6 Posts)
DareIGetHelpWithThis Thu 27-Mar-14 16:46:57

I do not know where to turn - have tried gp several times regarding my long term and serious weight problem.

If I had bulimia or anorexia they would maybe have some idea where to start with me but they just suggest I need to remember its all about 'priorities', or try slimming world etc.

It is not that I don't know how to eat healthily or follow a diet, I do and can if my head is in the right place (lost and regained the same 6 stones around 4 times) but after twenty yearns of this it is clear to me that something else is the problem.

I think emotion related binge eating is the closest description I can come up with. Given the possible health consequences of being over 40 BMI this is serious.

I have a responsible job, am a confident sounding communicator in general but I don't know how to ask for help, what sort of help or where to find it. I despair about his issue, though in general I don't think I am depressed I do have low self esteem but is that a cause or a consequence. I don't like to admit I need help but there it is, I do.

Can anyone give my any positive suggestions of what to do please?

DareIGetHelpWithThis Thu 27-Mar-14 21:08:28

Bumping to see if anyone can help, please

Perfectlypurple Thu 27-Mar-14 21:10:41

There is an eating disorder recovery thread on the new blog posts topic.

I am like you. I am going to get a book callef overcoming binge eating and try to get my head sorted.

SilverStars Thu 27-Mar-14 21:12:56

Have you tried a SW group? I only say that because I am finding having the support of a group really helpful (I have not said I have issues with food), but realisng many people sabotage their weight and meeting with others for the image therapy side of it is helpful - much more so than the healthy eating plan.That in itself can be helpful.

That book sounds a useful idea too.

ohnoppp Thu 27-Mar-14 21:15:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DareIGetHelpWithThis Thu 27-Mar-14 22:18:55

Thanks for responding.
I will try to find the eating disorder thread.

I have tried slimming groups maybe 10, 15 or more times, including once this year. I have all the membership cards with stickers and proof of how much I can loose angry Despite being an apparently confident and outgoing person in many situations . . . In a slimming group I simply can not interact, I can't, I don't know why. Embarrassment, disgust in my apparent greed, the out thereness of my inability to deal with this I just don't know. I almost feel now, after the last attempt, sort of phobic to these groups.

I need to stop the binging not talk about what and how to cook. I don't know how to stop the binging sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now