Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Extreme itching in an otherwise very fit and healthy 41 year old

(5 Posts)
orangeunderground Mon 24-Mar-14 20:59:05

For the last few weeks (months in fact) my DH has been constantly itchy. . legs, arms, torso, back, head, you name it. He scratches until he's red raw and has occasionally drawn blood.

I get the sense that its not a dermatitis thing as theres no rash, I don't think its an allergy thing as we've tried antihistamines to no effect, can't be washing powder as its also on exposed parts of the body. Any ideas?

He gets scans yearly for possible kidney disease (family history) but my understanding is you'd have to be in fairly advanced kidney failure for itchyness to kick in. He's an otherwise very fit, healthy and active bloke. I'm stumped!

itiswhatitiswhatitis Mon 24-Mar-14 21:01:33

He should go to the doctors probably needs a liver function test and a thyroid check

tribpot Mon 24-Mar-14 21:04:21

I'm itching as I type this! Have you looked at NHS Choices on itching?

He needs to go to the doctor, an all-over itch sounds like it needs investigating.

dotnet Tue 25-Mar-14 09:21:06

My guess is it COULD be to do with washing powder, because if the vestigial washing powder in his clothes sets him off... it'll just set him off all over. Your skin is one organ. So (I AM guessing) if a large part of that organ (the clothed/covered part) is irritated, it seems likely the unclothed/uncovered part would come out in sympathy!

It can't hurt to try using a different washing powder or liquid. Maybe wash his clothes by hand for a week or two?

EeyoreIsh Tue 25-Mar-14 09:22:32

He should go to his gp and get checked over. It could be his liver not functioning properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now