Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How much notice do you get before surgery?

(6 Posts)
IslaValargeone Mon 24-Mar-14 15:03:40

Just that really.
Is it generally days or weeks?
Thanks.

KurriKurri Mon 24-Mar-14 18:57:07

It depends - often several weeks, but I have had planned surgery at a weeks notice because there was a cancellation and I took it when offered.

IslaValargeone Mon 24-Mar-14 20:49:43

Thanks Kurri.
My dc is due for surgery but has to have another consultation with a different surgeon. We got a letter today for the consult, but it also says we may need to hang around for pre- admission tests if the surgeon decides to list dc.
I wasn't sure of the amount of time the surgery would need to be done after the pre-admission tests were completed.

SoldAtAuction Tue 25-Mar-14 01:16:40

My last surgery had three weeks notice, pre admission stuff was done the week before.
The surgery before that was booked 5 weeks in advance, pre ad was done 4 days before.

TheFuzz Tue 25-Mar-14 10:30:03

4 to 6 weeks notice. Pre surgery checks are done at point of surgery being recommended. Can be three or four months from that point, but you do get a few weeks notice usually

PlumBear Tue 25-Mar-14 10:31:11

I was given six weeks notice for my operation in December.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now