Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone been sterilised?

(13 Posts)
ThefutureMrsTatum Mon 24-Mar-14 13:36:15

After having DC3 in December I am certain that I do not want any more children, so is DH. It is my 3rd, his 1st child. But we are agreed we are not having any more.

I have previously had the depo injection, which was horrible - bled for months and excessive weight gain. Had the copper coil, which was ok apart from heavy periods. Since DC3 I was put on the mini pill, which has been horrendous, mood swings, constant heavy bleeding and sweats! So I just don't feel like hormonal contraception agrees with me.

So now I am considering being sterilised. Can anyone tell me experiences, how you found the operation and recovery and how have you been since? I have made an appointment to have another copper coild fitted at the end of April, but I'm not sure I can be bothered with the 8 day heavy periods again! I'm 30 btw! Thanks!

grimbletart Mon 24-Mar-14 15:00:41

Hallo The future. I was sterilised many years ago. I can only talk for me but it was really simple and I was back at work the next day. Didn't need any painkillers afterwards or anything. Best few hours ever. No more blasted pills, coils etc.

But some say they needed more time off and had shoulder pain (from the gas dispersing that they use to inflate the abdo) so maybe I was just very lucky.

ThefutureMrsTatum Mon 24-Mar-14 16:32:11

Thanks for your reply. I really can't be bothered with another coil and I think being sterilised would be a better option, sounds like it too if it was so straight forward with no complications, I had more trouble then a bit of gas after my first coil was put in, think my mind is made up, although I welcome anyone else's experiences, good or bad.

MarianForrester Mon 24-Mar-14 16:35:59

I had the [[ http://www.essure.com Essure]] procedure a couple of years ago. It's been brilliant, and no surgery smile

Was absolutely fine straight afterwards and ever since. Got it on the NHS too. Worth a look.

ThefutureMrsTatum Mon 24-Mar-14 16:40:45

Ohh thanks, I shall look when I get home!

carrielou2007 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:22:57

I was going to be sterilised at ELC with dc3 then decided against c section (fir medical condition) as worried about recovery and ended up with EMCS! I've really had to fight for it but consultant finally agreed and I was sterilised in jan.

It was fine, took day off work day after then back to work. It took me two weeks to recover as didn't realise bruising size if dinner plate and bleeding wounds were not normal! It was hard as stitches were infected but after that was sorted all done and dusted!!

Wear trackies for the op, I just went in my skinny jeans and they pump you full if gas and I couldn't zip tgen up!

If it wasn't for infection would have been easy peasy, EMCS was walk in the park compared to it but still so so glad and relieved no more baby worries!!

ijustwanttobeme Mon 24-Mar-14 19:47:23

Was sterilised nearly 15 years ago after DC no 2.

No probs at all as others have said.

Was home later the same day and I had a week off work (due to my job, advised by Dr) and that was it really.

ThefutureMrsTatum Mon 24-Mar-14 20:00:32

I have had a llook at essure, thanks for that link. Certainly does look like something I will consider and will ask my doctor about.

Thanks for the tips with bloating, I'm still carrying my baby weight a little so I'm a constant leggings wearer atm! Sounds great and much less faff than coil. Thanks ladies.

ARightOldPickle Mon 24-Mar-14 20:06:44

Also sterilised many years ago - in fact I sometimes forget I have been! No problems afterwards apart from some shoulder pain, one of the best things I've done, couldn't use the pill because of migraines and nothing else suited.
Had it done after DD3 - had to convince the surgeon I wouldn't regret not trying for son [hmmm]

ThefutureMrsTatum Mon 24-Mar-14 20:12:56

Well this is my worry, that they will say I'm too young, but I am definitely finished with 3, and I'm 30. Suppose it depends on the doctor. I'll make an appointment for tomorrow and see what theyy say. Actually looking forward to it now, hate the pill!

Sneezecakesmum Mon 24-Mar-14 20:13:59

Done years ago and never regretted it. Very quick. Only pain was the gas flitting around my abdomen! I was 33.

Keepcalmandpassthewine Mon 24-Mar-14 20:27:47

I also had the essure, over a year ago now. Simple procedure, have had no problems grin

ThefutureMrsTatum Mon 24-Mar-14 20:56:35

Definitely asking about the essure. Glad I asked though as I would never have known about the gas/shoulder pain. If that's the worst after issue, I'm sold!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now