Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Period like cramps without period.

(12 Posts)
TheArticFunky Mon 24-Mar-14 11:47:16

For the last few months I am experiencing discomfort. Period like cramps with pain in lower back and legs. The pain in my legs is the worst, I feel like an old woman hmm. The strange thing is the pain dissipates by day 3 of my period and then returns 2 days after my period has finished.

Has anyone else experienced this?

bigblueheart Mon 24-Mar-14 12:49:37

Hi arctic
I'm not a doctor, but suffered from chronic endometriosis. I also had ovarian cysts. The pain was horrific. I would go to your GP and ask for a referral to a gynaecologist. The pain down the legs especially resonates - it's hideous.
I hope you get it sorted.

TheArticFunky Mon 24-Mar-14 13:33:24

Thanks bigblueheart. The strange thing is since having my second child my periods are much lighter and I have no pain anymore. It would appear that I have swapped period in exchange for pain the rest of the month. [ hmm]

Scornedwoman67 Mon 24-Mar-14 15:16:41

Mine did exactly that - the periods became lighter, the pain got worse. Apparenty if you have endometriosis you bleed 'internally' which is what causes the paid. Definitely sounds like this might be what you have. Mine got a lot lot worse after my 2nd child. I tried various tablets, then had an endometrial ablation. Unfortunately in the end I had to have a hysterectomy but didn't mind as I didn't want any more children. It is awful & you have my sympathy too!!

TheArticFunky Mon 24-Mar-14 15:27:41

It's really odd isn't it? I've spent years doubled up in pain with period pain now they are a walk in the park and I'm actually looking forward to them arriving because they ease the pain.

Scornedwoman67 Mon 24-Mar-14 16:33:21

Have you got children?
The options are wider if your family is 'complete' as it were!
How old are you if you don't mind me asking? My issues started in my late 30's.

MichelloBarner Mon 24-Mar-14 16:40:12

I went through a phase of having this mid cycle, it could go on for days and days irrespective of when my period was due, and it happened most months for the first year or so after I'd had my last child. I also had terribly stabbing/shooting/lacerating pains going up through my pelvis and my fanjo. I was investigated for endo and although I was told I did not have it, I did end up having some adhesions removed.

That was a few years ago now, and although I occasionally still get the shooting pains occasionally they are nowhere near as bad and I get 'heavy' legs from time to time, but not the awful dragging pain I had previously.

MichelloBarner Mon 24-Mar-14 16:40:51

Mine started in my 30's as well!

TheArticFunky Mon 24-Mar-14 17:01:53

I'm 41 and my family is complete. The leg pain started becoming more pain at Christmas time.

Scornedwoman67 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:24:26

So if you don't want any more children, they don't have to worry about the impact of any treatment on your fertility. Which is good.
Definitely go to the GP and ask for a referral. Don't get fobbed off. I did for years & in the end I was rushed in to hospital and had an emergency hysterectomy.
There are loads of options, depending on what is causing your pain. Don't suffer in silence though!
Feel free to PM me if you want to chat further x

TheArticFunky Fri 28-Mar-14 15:46:30

I went to the doctor and he diagnosed sciatica. The pain in my thigh is very painful today.

Scornedwoman67 Sat 29-Mar-14 23:37:06

oh, I'm surprised by that. I wouldn't have thought sciatica would cause the cramping pains. ..I hope you get it sorted though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now