Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

How do I cope with migraine & my 13 month old?

(5 Posts)
Zatch Fri 21-Mar-14 22:17:06

Currently have migraine - excruciating pain in left temple, nausea, weakness/dizzy.
Really really struggling to function. It was my own fault - brought on from not eating for 2 days plus high levels of stress all whilst on period.
Have a demanding 13month old boy, who screams consistently for attention.
Can't call on anyone - family 3hrs away friends an hour.
Sorry it's so jumbled.
Have taken Panadol eaten a bit of banana and had water.

How can I make this easier? Go away??

JellyBabiesSaveLives Sat 22-Mar-14 09:58:23

Doc told me to take 600g ibuprofen (3 tablets). That's if you can't get to a pharmacy for sumatriptan. Then put cbeebies on, draw curtains, lie down on sofa with eyes shut for as long as poss. Drink plenty of water too.

Zatch Sat 22-Mar-14 13:40:14

Thank you smile it's eased off slightly thank god.

janesnowdon1 Sat 22-Mar-14 16:39:52

Get to your GP asap and get some sumatriptan or maxalt prescribed miracle drugs! You can take 2 paracetomols and 4 ibuprofen as a 1 off (nothing else for 24 hours) on their won on top of a triptan to really cosh the headache. The more painkiller you take in one go the better (rather than spreading them out over 24 hours)

Symapthy

NanaNina Sat 22-Mar-14 19:54:32

I suffered with migraines for years and it really affected my life and GPs said there was only paracetomol which didn't touch it. I went to a homeopath for migraine treatment (but it didn't work) however she was also a GP and said if she was my GP she would be prescribing "one of the triptans" - she wrote down the name and I went to see my GP who calmly commented "yes she's probably right" and prescribed sumatriptan and it really was a wonder drug as janes says. It completelychanged my life, because I could be pain free in 2 hours and not really any side effects.

I know now that the reason the GP wasn't prescribing it is because of the cost (they are about £5 per tab) and this makes me quite angry when I think back to how I suffered. You can buy sumatriptan (trade name imigram) over the counter but it's expensive and there are only 2 pills in the pack I think. There is no reason why your GP should not prescribe them. The senior partner of the practice called me in 3 or 4 times and sent me to hospital for something to prevent the migraine but none of them worked. He admitted this was a high cost drug but wouldn't admit that's why he kept sending me to a neurologist who confirmed I had migraine (!) and prescribed several different drugs to prevent the attacks.

I grew out of it finally when I was about 65 I think.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: