Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

eczema and motherhood / clothing fashions

(7 Posts)
stuckindamiddle Fri 21-Mar-14 09:01:44

I've had eczema since I was small, usually confined to my hands and skin folds with occasional flare ups elsewhere.

It's got much worse since I became a mum. It's so dry and itchy, especially on my hands tummy, back and thighs. I'm sure changes in lifestyle are to blame - less sleep, less time to apply emollients after washing, more hand washing etc. I also think the current trend for skinny jeans and jeggings doesn't help. I favour these as they work well with the loose tops I wear to disguise my mum tum / separated ab muscles. Not sure what alternatives there are.
Anyone had similar experiences? Any suggestions?

5madthings Fri 21-Mar-14 09:09:59

I also have eczema that has got worse since becoming a Mum, I will come back to this thread later as I am off out now. So just marking my place so it's on threads I am on.

stuckindamiddle Fri 28-Mar-14 12:47:11

5madthings Fri 28-Mar-14 13:59:48

Oh forgot to come back to this!

For sstarters I moisturise moisturise moisturise!

Wear cotton clothes.

I have skinny jeans but high waisted from next.

I do wear leggings and tights sometimes but they make me itch more.

I find my skin gets pitcher at certain times of dat ie eve so I get changed into cotton pjs and a vest top as that helps.

I agrew hand washignawing and washing up makes it worse, I use am recover washing up liquid as that is better for my hands and non bio washing detergents.

I tale antihistamines to help with the itching. My dermatologist has recommended a course of meds to help but they repress the immune system so I am rreluctant to tale them when I have five kids who are always bringing bugs home!

5madthings Fri 28-Mar-14 14:02:15

Of o wear fitted tops o wear a cotton vest under them so tallay is next to my skin.

I always weat long sleelves or three quarter sleeves to cover my elbows where my eczema is worst, can't cover my hands where I also have it.

Change in ytemp makes mine wrose so hot shops out onto cold sstreet etc. It's worse in the winter I find.

Having the central heating on doesn't help.

Water softners help but we can't aafford to have one fitted.

dimsum123 Sun 30-Mar-14 10:02:25

Yes mine flared up horrenfously since becoming a mum. I've had about 4 courses of steroid tablets over 10 years as it was so bad. It's much better now. Possibly as DC's older and I am getting proper sleep, have time to moisturise and less stressed in general.

I always wear cotton next to the skin and have stopped wearing jeans altogether which I think has helped.

stuckindamiddle Sun 30-Mar-14 20:20:35

5mad - luckily I now live in a soft water area. Dread to think how
much worse my skin would be now if we were still in a hard water area sad

dimsum - that sounds bad. What do you wear, if not jeans? Like 5mad, I also find leggings and tights make me itch more. I stick to cotton leggings where possible and wear tights only rarely. If I wore less jeans I'm not sure what I'd wear as skirts require tights for me.

It's lovely to have the sun back with us - lifts the mood - but unfortunately my eczema doesn't improve in the sun and having to wear summer clothes makes me v self-conscious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now