Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

eczema and motherhood / clothing fashions

(7 Posts)
stuckindamiddle Fri 21-Mar-14 09:01:44

I've had eczema since I was small, usually confined to my hands and skin folds with occasional flare ups elsewhere.

It's got much worse since I became a mum. It's so dry and itchy, especially on my hands tummy, back and thighs. I'm sure changes in lifestyle are to blame - less sleep, less time to apply emollients after washing, more hand washing etc. I also think the current trend for skinny jeans and jeggings doesn't help. I favour these as they work well with the loose tops I wear to disguise my mum tum / separated ab muscles. Not sure what alternatives there are.
Anyone had similar experiences? Any suggestions?

5madthings Fri 21-Mar-14 09:09:59

I also have eczema that has got worse since becoming a Mum, I will come back to this thread later as I am off out now. So just marking my place so it's on threads I am on.

stuckindamiddle Fri 28-Mar-14 12:47:11

bump!

5madthings Fri 28-Mar-14 13:59:48

Oh forgot to come back to this!

For sstarters I moisturise moisturise moisturise!

Wear cotton clothes.

I have skinny jeans but high waisted from next.

I do wear leggings and tights sometimes but they make me itch more.

I find my skin gets pitcher at certain times of dat ie eve so I get changed into cotton pjs and a vest top as that helps.

I agrew hand washignawing and washing up makes it worse, I use am recover washing up liquid as that is better for my hands and non bio washing detergents.

I tale antihistamines to help with the itching. My dermatologist has recommended a course of meds to help but they repress the immune system so I am rreluctant to tale them when I have five kids who are always bringing bugs home!

5madthings Fri 28-Mar-14 14:02:15

Of o wear fitted tops o wear a cotton vest under them so tallay is next to my skin.

I always weat long sleelves or three quarter sleeves to cover my elbows where my eczema is worst, can't cover my hands where I also have it.

Change in ytemp makes mine wrose so hot shops out onto cold sstreet etc. It's worse in the winter I find.

Having the central heating on doesn't help.

Water softners help but we can't aafford to have one fitted.

dimsum123 Sun 30-Mar-14 10:02:25

Yes mine flared up horrenfously since becoming a mum. I've had about 4 courses of steroid tablets over 10 years as it was so bad. It's much better now. Possibly as DC's older and I am getting proper sleep, have time to moisturise and less stressed in general.

I always wear cotton next to the skin and have stopped wearing jeans altogether which I think has helped.

stuckindamiddle Sun 30-Mar-14 20:20:35

5mad - luckily I now live in a soft water area. Dread to think how
much worse my skin would be now if we were still in a hard water area sad

dimsum - that sounds bad. What do you wear, if not jeans? Like 5mad, I also find leggings and tights make me itch more. I stick to cotton leggings where possible and wear tights only rarely. If I wore less jeans I'm not sure what I'd wear as skirts require tights for me.

It's lovely to have the sun back with us - lifts the mood - but unfortunately my eczema doesn't improve in the sun and having to wear summer clothes makes me v self-conscious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now