Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Recurring agonising corn due to foot shape. Will NHS treat?

(2 Posts)
Orangeanddemons Thu 20-Mar-14 19:18:32

I have a hideous corn that will not go away. I have had repeated expensive visits to chiropodists. They scrape it away, and it is back 2 days later. I am on my feet all day and it really hurts.

3 different ones have all said it is due to the shape of my little toe, and nothing to do with ill fitting shoes. They all said I could have an operation to straighten my toe which could eradicate them

I have mentioned this to my doctor before, who practically laughed me out of the surgery, saying the chances of getting it treated on the NHS were zero.hmm

So am I supposed to put up with the pain, or what?

LackaDAISYcal Thu 20-Mar-14 19:24:01

I have a lump on the top of my little toe that rubs on the inside of the neighbouring toe causing a horribly painful corn there too.

I've found ensuring shoes aren't too tight across the toes, ensuring shoes are properly fitting, and using some of that padded sleeve stuff to cushion it.

I feel your pain though; it can be excruciating.

Mine does get treated on the NHS, but only becuase I have been diagnosed with an auto-immune condition which affects my feet and I see a podiatrist for that who deals with my corn for me as well.

If there is a structural problem with your toes though that is causing the corn, then this should surely be treatable on the NHS; after all it is only going to get worse as you age. I would ask for a referral to podiatry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now