Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Itchy painful breasts - further investigations?

(4 Posts)
blackcurrentjuice Thu 20-Mar-14 17:18:08

Have been have intensely itchy breasts for the last 6 weeks. It feels like the itching is within the tissue, not on the skin if that makes sense.

In the last week I've had an uncomfortable pain behind the nipple in the same breast.

Have seen the GP this morning and I have been prescribed a topical cream and told to come back in two weeks for further investigations.

However the Dr wouldn't elaborate on what these would be. Has anyone experienced this before and know what the GP means? I was assuming a mammogram.

Theonlyoneiknow Thu 20-Mar-14 17:38:29

I assume they would refer you to the breast clinic. If there isn't anything suspicious you would probably be seen within 8 weeks, rather than the urgent 'breast cancer' 2 week referral.

You would be examined again there and then depending on what they think will give you an ultrasound and mammogram.

I have ongoing breast pain in one side, it has been 18 months now but they just say it's non-cyclical and to take EPO.

Is there a rash or any marks on the skin?

blackcurrentjuice Thu 20-Mar-14 19:05:10

The skin has stretch marks from pregnancy, but both the GP and I felt that the area beneath the nipple was dimpled slightly although she couldn't feel any significant lumps.

Can you have breast cancer without lumps? Don't want to google otherwise I'll convince myself it's really serious, when hopefully it might not be.

Daft question but do mammograms hurt? there was a lot of pulling and pushing on the breast today and I feely quite tender this evening.

Theonlyoneiknow Fri 21-Mar-14 23:45:41

Hi blackcurrent, how is the itchiness now? Has the cream helped?

My mammogram wasn't painful, just a little uncomfortable but I have small 'heading south' boobs!

I believe you can have cancer without lumps, it appears more in 'sheets'. I don't have experience of it but someone commented on my recent thread about breast clinic referrals as I have had breast pain for a long time now, no lumps but a visible dent on the outer area of my breast just below where it meets the armpit. The consultant couldn't feel anything suspicious but could see the dent and wants me to have an ultrasound (had mammo last September).

If you are at all worried then go back to your GP and they should refer you. Hopefully the cream will have helped xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now