Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Psoriasis has appeared after giving birth? What can I do

(2 Posts)
Artyparty Thu 20-Mar-14 17:15:09

Hi- I have had a sore scalp since giving birth to dc#2 in December.
My hairdresser had a look & thinks it's psoriasis - my knees & hands have also been really dry & sore which I put down to 'winter skin' but now think it could be linked.
Hairdresser said she sees it a lot with new mums... sad
What causes it & what can I do?
Am BFing & don't want steroids.
Thanks x

Alpacacino Thu 20-Mar-14 21:48:16

Nobody knows what causes psoriasis yet, but there is definitely a hormone - link.

My psoriasis also flared up after giving birth, so much so that I had UVB-treatment in hospital, which helped a lot and did not interfere with breastfeeding.

Trying a gluten-free diet, fish oil capsules (the Eskimo brand does not have any after taste at all), no nightshades, lots of strong moisturiser like Diprobase, and T-Gel shampoo for the scalp and as much sleep as possible under the circumstances could help. Definitely moisturise, moisturise, moisturise with psoriasis-compatible products. And no soap with sodium laureth sulfate, best wash with Aqueous cream.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now