Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is this menopause ?

(3 Posts)
catpark Thu 20-Mar-14 16:18:55

My periods used to be every 28 days, bang on. But for the last 2 years or so they have went a bit random. I had thyroid cancer 3 and a half years ago and had radioiodine ablation done which they said shouldn't effect fertility like the regular radiation/chemotherapy does.
After speaking to my consultant he suggested getting hormones checked as he had ruled out my thyroid removal/taking T4 as a reason for my periods going haywire
Had hormone checks done 18mths ago which showed one hormone was a bit high and one a bit low but both within the 'normal' range so was just left.
Only suggestion GP could give was to go back on the pill to regulate them which I can't do as the hormones in the pill or any other contraceptive stops my T4 working properly. (Don't need to be on anything as DP had the snip a while back anyway.)

For the last year or so they have got worse, cycle between 21 and 25 days. They last about 5 days but very light (I've always had light periods but these are even lighter)

I'm only 35 but Could this be the menopause happening, anyone had the same ?

meditrina Thu 20-Mar-14 17:01:39

I don't think I can answer your questions, but thought you might like to have a look at this premature menopause support thread to see if there's anything in there that might help. You'll see it's in the "Menopause" topic, which might also be worth a browse to see if any of the threads look useful.

fairbalance Thu 20-Mar-14 20:11:09

Yep sounds like peri menopause to me. The Menopause Matters web site and forum run by Dr Currie is fully of helpful advice. Its fab smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now