Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

leaky ear infection

(7 Posts)
WheresItTo Thu 20-Mar-14 15:52:11

DS age 4 has an ear infection. He started with pain on Monday, I managed to get him a Drs appointment for the Tues morning. I was told that his ear was a little red and was given a prescription for amoxicillin but told to wait 24 hours before giving them to give it chance to clear by itself (their policy for ear infections is to treat for the first 3days with ibuprofen only). Tuesday afternoon DS was screaming in pain and the ibuprofen was no longer helping. His ear then began to leak. It has been leaking ever since like a tap! I have been giving the ABs and pain relief, but am worried he shouldn't be leaking so much. The fluid is odourless, but a little sticky if it dries. It pools in his ear if I don't keep cleaning it and I have had to put a towel over his pillow. Should I take him back to the Drs or wait to seen if the ABs do anything?

Thanks in advance.

DorothyGherkins Thu 20-Mar-14 15:56:05

I d probably ring the dragon on reception at the GP for their advice, , I m sure they could help on this one.

VivClicquot Thu 20-Mar-14 15:56:26

My DD (16months) has just had the same, and it lasted 6 weeks and required three courses of antibiotics to shift it. The good news was that it wasn't painful as far as I could tell (she certainly didn't seem poorly or in pain), but it was very icky, and required 3 or 4 cleanings each day!

Also, over the course of the six weeks, the fluid got thicker and greener, so that it was like a heavy runny nose. (Blee)

If I were you, I would wait and see if the ABs help, but if the leaking continues after you've finished the course, then go back and request another course.

somedizzywhore1804 Thu 20-Mar-14 15:59:13

As an old hand at ear infections- no exaggeration, I had two a month from the age of 7 until I was 13, three sets of gromits and other surgery on polyps- this sounds like it needs antibiotic drops as well as oral antibiotics. I'd go back to the doctors.

Thinking of your little un, ear infections are the pits and equal only to toothache in their relentlessness.

Cleanandclothed Thu 20-Mar-14 15:59:57

I would take to the drs. My son had this regularly (although with green and yellow gunk not colourless fluid, so it may be different). They would swab and send off to be tested, so that on the occasions when the first lot of antibiotics didn't clear it up within 3-4 days, they then knew immediately which type would, rather than needing to swab at that point and wait longer.

WheresItTo Thu 20-Mar-14 16:02:06

grin at the dragon on reception!

There is an open surgery tomorrow so I can take him to that as it would seem that actual appointments are like gold dust ATM!

I am worried that school won't take him back whilst he is leaky. He needs cleaning every 15-20 minutes at least.

WheresItTo Thu 20-Mar-14 17:05:45

Thanks for all of your replies. I will take him in tomorrow and get him checked. He seems to be in less pain today but he is leaking as much as ever.

Sorry to hear that some are plagued with ear infections. DD (7) gets them a couple of times a year but never like this. This is DSs first one. Is it better to just let it all drain out or can I put some cotton wool in his ear to stop it dripping?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: