Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Iron supplement for fatigue

(9 Posts)
Dancergirl Thu 20-Mar-14 14:50:35

Can anyone recommend a good iron supplement? I thought maybe this one:

www.discount-supplements.co.uk/health-supplements-vitamins-minerals-floradix-liquid-iron-formula-500ml?utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=GoogleBase&utm_term=Floradix%20Liquid%20Iron%20Formula%20500ml%20Bottle&CAWELAID=1567153537&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CKztjNKtob0CFUsUwwodaVwAlQ#reviews

I've been really lacking in energy lately and wondered if an iron supplement would do the trick. If possible I want to avoid a blood test as I am needle phobic, an iron supplement won't do any harm will it?

tshirtsuntan Thu 20-Mar-14 14:54:12

I used spatone water from boots when I was lacking iron, comes in sachets you just put the "special" water in a glass of normal water/ juice. No bad taste ( and no constipation!)

Procrastinating Thu 20-Mar-14 14:57:56

I used Floradix, drink a glass of orange juice afterwards for an extra boost.
It works but it tastes vile.

Changeasgoodas Thu 20-Mar-14 14:58:25

Taking an iron supplement when you don't need one has the potential to be very bad for you. The current marketing campaigns for iron supplements should come with a massive health warning.

My friend made herself even sicker taking them as it turns out she had iron overload www.nhs.uk/conditions/haemochromatosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx

If you are lacking in energy and good sleep and diet doesn't do the trick then you are much better off to get some blood tests done. Ask your GP for CBT therapy for needle phobia, it is very effective.

Technical Thu 20-Mar-14 14:58:47

That's the one I take and I do think it has helped but cutting out refined sugar has far greater impact on my energy levels

Changeasgoodas Thu 20-Mar-14 15:01:07

As many as 1 in 200 people may have iron overload - that's a lot of people out there who should be going near the Floradix/Spatone etc..

From my above link
"Haemochromatosis is uncommon in general terms, although it is one of the most common genetic (inherited) conditions in England.

As many as one person in 200 may be affected.

Symptoms usually start around the age of 40 in men and after the age of 50 in women. Symptoms in women are delayed because their iron levels are reduced when they have a period.

Haemochromatosis is most common in people of white European ethnic background – particularly people of Irish descent."

Changeasgoodas Thu 20-Mar-14 15:01:47

Should NOT of course, not should - when oh when will one be able edit posts on MN?!

Dancergirl Thu 20-Mar-14 15:15:12

Thank you, interesting about the refined sugar. Very worrying reading all the press reports a few months back.

Problem is, I'm a chocoholic. Wouldn't be able to cut it out! Think I'd rather live with the tiredness.

So I could really cause damage just by taking a supplement with checking iron levels first? Is there any way of estimating how much iron I have already without a test by diet etc?

RockinD Thu 20-Mar-14 16:54:44

The short answer to that is no. For what it's worth I took a supplement containing the RDA of iron every day for 20+ years and was still, when it came to it, appallingly anaemic.

If you are just lacking in energy you could try cleaning up your act, eating properly, ditching the chocolate and going to bed early.

If you are seriously fatigued to the extent that it is getting in the way of your usual activities, you need to see the doc and bite the bullet when it comes to the inevitable blood test. No-one likes it - just don't look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now