Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Smear Test

(13 Posts)
Joey8 Thu 20-Mar-14 13:12:14

Ok so I've been very bad and have put off ever having one done up until now...

Having it done later this afternoon but I'm slightly nervous. I keep hearing about how much it hurts! And im not good with pain!

Can anyone put my mind at ease?

treaclesoda Thu 20-Mar-14 13:15:03

I've never found it painful. Uncomfortable, but not painful. I suppose some people are better at doing them than others, like everything.

Anyway, if it hurts, speak up and ask them to stop for a moment.

Good luck, a few moments discomfort is worth it.

twentyten Thu 20-Mar-14 13:17:28

The thought is often the worst bit. The more you can relax, you may feel almost nothing. Last time I went I was nattering to the nurse and couldn't believe she'd done it.

Deep breaths! Plan a treat for being a good girl!!!

Northumberlandlass Thu 20-Mar-14 13:17:48

Good on you for making an appt.

It's uncomfortable & not particularly pleasant but it doesn't hurt (my opinion). I know it's hard, but take deep breaths and try to relax as much as possible.

FWIW - I've had regular smears since I was 25. I'm 41 now, in Oct had a smear, Nov found out I had abnormal cells, Dec had biopsy & found out they were CIN3 and had Loop in January. It's all dealt with - but who knows what would of happened if I hadn't had one. Those few seconds (really it doesn't take long) of uncomfort are worth it smile

Northumberlandlass Thu 20-Mar-14 13:18:25

discomfort

PennySillin Thu 20-Mar-14 13:19:28

Well done for making the appointment. As treacle has already said it can be an uncomfortable procedure but it shouldn't be painful and if it does cause you pain you must let the nurse know. This is exactly what I say to my patients before I carry out their smear. I hope you get on ok smile

blackcurrentjuice Thu 20-Mar-14 13:19:40

Take a paracetamol about an hour before you go in. I do get uncomfortable during them and for about an hour after but its just one of those things that need to be done.

Also take some deep breaths during the procedure to keep you relaxed (well as relaxed as you can be) as it makes it less uncomfortable.

SoftSheen Thu 20-Mar-14 13:23:55

I put off having one for nine years so I know how you feel. TBH, I did find it a bit painful (possibly because I was tense), but it was less painful than the cervical exams you get during labour, and only took a few seconds. Much quicker than I expected and really not a big deal.

Joey8 Thu 20-Mar-14 14:09:35

Thank you guys! My mind has definitely been put to rest :-)

Nothumberlandlass - thats incredible - im so very glad for you thats its all dealt with now! Goes to show, these tests really can save lives.

Lets get this appointment over and done with! I will try to relax, i do tend to tense up a lot so I'll take lots of deep breaths like you all have recommended.

Haha a treat...good idea! I think I might treat myself to some online shopping :D

Northumberlandlass Thu 20-Mar-14 14:44:42

Thanks Joey.
Let us know how you get on!

A treat is definitely the way to go

Joey8 Fri 21-Mar-14 10:25:08

Update: It wasn't as bad as I was expecting! It was uncomfortable and its a hard feeling to try and describe! But it was over very quickly :-)

I'm glad I had it done, the nurse was extremely nice and it only took a minute then it was over!

So to those of you who haven't had it done - doooo it!

Northumberlandlass Fri 21-Mar-14 11:01:58

I am pleased it was ok Joey! smile

twentyten Fri 21-Mar-14 15:57:35

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now