Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How do you know if you are wheat intolerant?

(6 Posts)
positively9something Thu 20-Mar-14 08:28:12

I am wondering if I am wheat intolerant, I have found wheat a bix make me very bloated and have an upset belly and bad wind. I also think other cereals have that effect.

How would I know for certain if I am wheat intolerant? Are there any tests that the doctor can do?

TeaAndHugs Thu 20-Mar-14 11:03:33

The doctor can test you for Celiac disease (gluten intolerance) by doing a blood test.

You can also try cutting out wheat for a few days and see what happens to your symptoms. But DON'T cut out wheat immediately before your blood test because it could affect the results. Keeping a diary of what you eat and what symptoms you get is a good idea for identifying food intolerances.

You might find that it's the fiber in wholewheat products like weetabix that is causing your problems. I have similar issues with wholewheat to you but am fine with white bread.

BuzzardBird Thu 20-Mar-14 11:04:56

I was tested recently at the docs. Simple blood test. Mine came back fine but I still feel better if I avoid wheat...especially if it contains yeast.

positively9something Thu 20-Mar-14 12:11:46

Thank you for the repies, hmm that's a good point about the fibre.

I will speak to the doctor

PhDmummy Thu 20-Mar-14 12:15:43

Are you having milk with your cereal? Could be dairy intolerance, not necessarily wheat. Best thing to do, and what your GP will probably suggest, is a food / symptom diary as a first step.

Slebmum Thu 20-Mar-14 13:18:58

You can be gluten intolerant without having coeliac disease.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now