Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tennis Elbow - DH is not amused.

(11 Posts)
LizzieVereker Wed 19-Mar-14 20:25:01

DH has been signed off from work for 4 weeks already with tennis elbow, and it's just not getting better. It's very painful. He's tried a splint thing, the anti inflammatory pain killers upset his tummy, and is trying hard to rest it (but is a fidget/ compulsive job dooer).

He's really fed up with it and really wants to go back to work - anyone got any ideas on how to expedite his recovery, please?

I had it this time last year and got physio which made a big difference after 2 or 3 sessions, I carried on doing the exercises by myself and it slowly but surely got better.

LizzieVereker Wed 19-Mar-14 23:20:49

Thank you WhoKnows and glad you are better.

Catsmamma Wed 19-Mar-14 23:29:01

Acupuncture?

I gave myself tennis elbow when pg...doc was not keen to go in with steroids/anti inflamms and suggested acupuncture, I had two sessions...pins from my elbow down to my thumb. It cleared very quickly nd the only needle that was horrid was the one in the elbow....really felt like that was going right into the bone, but they do only go in couple of millimetres.

RockinD Thu 20-Mar-14 11:11:55

A properly qualified sports therapist should be able to make a significant difference to this very quickly, if you are prepared to spend the money.

Follow this link www.lssm.com/therapist_directory.php to find a practitioner in your area.

nipersvest Thu 20-Mar-14 11:28:24

i've had tennis elbow in both arms, (mine's caused by sewing though, as i'm a textile designer, but it affects the same tendons), i found the splint worked but it did take time, 6 weeks or so of wearing it all day. what kind of splint in he using?, mine was an epicondylar clasp

eggsandwich Thu 20-Mar-14 14:48:07

I've had tennis elbow and it lasted about 2 years until it got so bad it was affecting my sleep I went to the GP and he referred me for a steriod injection into my elbow and have not had any problems since, for the record I personally don't think resting it helps much and besides any movement hurts, I'd go to the GP, but beware that some GP's such as mine try and fob you off by saying that steriod injection don't help much, trust me they do and also my sister had hers done two years prior to mine and both of us don't get any problems from it.
Also if you've got private healthcare you can get it done there which is what I did in the end though (GP referred me)I did have to pay the first �100 but it was worth it, I also got upset stomach from the anti-inflammatories. Good luck.

If it's giving any problems while sleeping (mine did), I found that lying on either side with the arm out at 90 degrees in front of you and the elbow bent at 90 degrees so the upper arm and hand were flat and going under the pillows was by far the best position.

nipersvest Thu 20-Mar-14 16:10:51

have just remembered, my gp told me to use ibuprofen gel on the elbow instead of taking tablets.

CMOTDibbler Thu 20-Mar-14 19:33:59

Acupuncture really works. I had three steroid injections, physio, ultrasound, and anti inflammatories, and it was little better, but acupuncture knocked it out after one session, and it went away (as in couldn't feel it at all) after 4. Mine does recur, but I can do a session of acupuncture when I need it

LizzieVereker Thu 20-Mar-14 23:11:56

Thank you all so much, I'm trying to persuade him to give acupuncture a whirl! He is trying the gel, but GP said they don't do the steroid injections any more confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now