Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Prescriptions

(11 Posts)
nannynewo Tue 18-Mar-14 22:45:53

I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I was wondering if someone could tell me how much people have to pay for something on prescription in England? Or does it vary depending on the product? I am not from England so don't know about the costs involved but am at a point now where I need to get a product which I can only get through the doctor's approval.

Thanks.

FannyFifer Tue 18-Mar-14 22:51:39

Think it's a set price, £7.50 ish for whatever item it is.

Dancingqueen17 Tue 18-Mar-14 22:52:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tribpot Tue 18-Mar-14 22:53:56

I think it's currently £7.85 per prescription, rising to £8.05 next month.

If whatever it is you're buying can be obtained without a prescription more cheaply, the pharmacist will often just sell it to you. But if you have to get it on prescription, that's the charge.

There are ways to make this cheaper, if you are likely to need the item prescribing more than once - you can get a pre-payment card. More info about costs and exemptions here.

tribpot Tue 18-Mar-14 22:57:04

Sorry, Dancingqueen17 is correct, it's per item not per prescription. My DH is on a shedload of medication, I would be bankrupt if I were paying £7.85 for each item every fortnight. Sheesh! (He has a pre-payment card).

mumblecrumble Tue 18-Mar-14 22:59:08

I love my prepayment card. Very grateful to lovcely lady who suggested it. About ten pound per month

Piscivorus Tue 18-Mar-14 22:59:17

First question, as you've said you are not from here, is are you entitled to NHS care?
If you are and get an NHS prescription the charge is currently £7.85 per item and will rise to £8.05 on 1st April.
If not you will need to see a doctor privately and get a private prescription where you pay the cost of the drug plus VAT plus a dispensing fee.

nannynewo Tue 18-Mar-14 23:01:46

Thanks for all the responses! Really helpful! The item is for severe eczema and it is a steroid cream which I can only get through the doctor (I have looked all over online), I am guessing this will need to be paid for? I am originally from Wales and we don't have to pay for anything there! I would wait until I go home (I am at uni) but I desperately need the cream now.

tribpot Wed 19-Mar-14 06:49:59

Okay the uni probably has a medical centre so get yourself down there. You may be entitled to assistance due to low income but may not be worth pursuing for a single item.

Have you registered with the uni medical centre? (Here in Leeds that's an automated process so you may not have had to go in). Just thinking it will be easier to get the GP to prescribe what you need if he or she can see you've had it prescribed in the past.

nannynewo Wed 19-Mar-14 09:13:29

Yes, it is the uni's medical centre that I am registered with. I am almost certain I have to pay because the only thing I have got with them so far is the pill and I vaguely remember her saying it must be quite a shock being in England and having to pay for everything except the pill.
So just wanted to check about costs.
Thanks everyone for the advice, have now booked appointment smile

tribpot Wed 19-Mar-14 09:22:42

Cool. Well, best of luck, hope you get what you need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now