Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sinus blockage be-gone!

(6 Posts)
blockedup Tue 18-Mar-14 19:16:37

Been a bit ill past couple of weeks - chesty cough and bit of a cold. It cleared up, then after the couple of sunny days we had, I ended up not being able to breathe through my nose at all, with a lot of sinus pain and 'fizzing' and general urgh-ness. Haven't had a good night's sleep since, have barely eaten the past 2 days because it's uncomfortable to swallow with a completely blocked nose and because I can't taste anything.

Have read that decongestants are not a longterm solution. If I go to the GP, will they likely give me anything else or should I try to manage it at home? I hate the sensation of spraying things up my nose but guess it might be the lesser of 2 evils.

Got like this last year at the end of hayfever season - nothing that I tried would work. Starting to feel miserable and mopey - I live for the odd 10 seconds where 1 nostril will miraculously clear.

Advice anyone?

TheRealGarethMalone Tue 18-Mar-14 19:37:55

I'm seriously considering saline washing my sinuses for the same reason.

blockedup Tue 18-Mar-14 19:48:18

So you squirt saline up and it washes everything down your throat?
DP asked me earlier why I am 'not kissing him like I normally do' - err because I have to come up for air?!
Made an exceptionally hot curry earlier thinking this might help - it made my lips and tongue tingle but sinuses obviously made of stronger stuff.

yesnoyesnoyesno Tue 18-Mar-14 19:50:50

Saline in a neti pot if you haven't tried it.

Maybe some otrivine but that's definitely not long term either.

thatbitpink Tue 18-Mar-14 20:34:19

uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A7x9QXhhrShTLGQAbUZLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTB2Zms3MWdtBHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2lyZAR2dGlkA01TWVVLMDdfODA-?_adv_prop=image&fr=mcafee&va=neilmed+sinus+rinse
Neilmed is very good - and no it doesn't "wash everything down your throat" (gads).

blockedup Wed 19-Mar-14 08:17:25

Thanks for the suggestions. I was confused as to where the saline went but it seems it comes out the other nostril (thanks Youtube). Going to have to get over my weirdness about things going up my nose aren't I smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now