Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pelvic ultrasound - what to expect?

(8 Posts)
vroomvroommum Tue 18-Mar-14 13:47:21

I've been putting up with pain in my abdomen and pelvis for 3 years because I'm petrified of all examinations since I was induced.

Can anyone tell me what to expect and how I can relax? Appointment on Friday and I'm already not sleeping.

BadgersRetreat Tue 18-Mar-14 14:45:14

I have had internal and external ones - external is like a pregnancy scan i imagine (never been pg) and they do your kidneys too so a little bit of rolling about needed so they can get to them.

The internal one is basically a 'wand' with a sort of condom on that i was asked to insert myself, and then the radiographer moved it about to scan.

It was not painful in any way - it's a bit odd but was absolutely fine both times. Non invasive would be a way to describe it. Much less unpleasant than a smear, say.

You might only need the external one? Don't worry.

hellymelly Tue 18-Mar-14 14:50:59

I had one a couple of months ago. They didn't tell me to have a full bladder , if I had been told I would not have had a wee on arrival and then would have just had an abdominal scan (just the same as a pregnancy one) instead I had the vaginal scan. As the poster above me says, it is a wand, on which they put a condom thing, and then they wiggle it about a bit when it is in your vagina. I had them while pregnant too so not too much of a shock. Mine was a bit uncomfortable at times, partly as the doc was pressing on my ovary , which was painful anyway (hence the scan). It took about ten minutes or so, not too bad.

Seaoftroubles Tue 18-Mar-14 15:00:01

I assume you are having a Transvaginal scan? If so it really is nothing to worry about-I have had 3 and I promise you will barely feel it.You sit in a chair or lie down with legs bent at the knees and feet supported. You have a cover over your lower regions so all very discreet. Then the ultrasound probe is covered with a condom and plenty of lube is applied to ensure comfort.This is then introduced into your vagina and gently moved around. The images are shown on the screen and usually the radiographer will chat to you during the procedure, explaining what she can see etc.It is all pretty quick and totally painless.Please do not worry and good luck!

vroomvroommum Tue 18-Mar-14 19:37:47

Ladies, thank you all sooooo much. You have no idea how much you have just put my mind at rest!!

Xxx

Queenofknickers Tue 18-Mar-14 19:43:46

My best tip is NOT to do what I did and say to the sonographer as he put the condom on the wand "aren't you even going to say you love me first?". I was nervous blush

vroomvroommum Tue 18-Mar-14 20:08:05

Haha, that reminds me of the time the attractive A&E doctor asked me if I got breathless laying down. My response was "not often enough are you offering to help with that?" (I blame the pain killers)

NCFTTB Tue 18-Mar-14 21:48:01

It is honestly painless and straightforward. Please don't worry. I hope you get the treatment you need so that you can go on to live a pain free life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now