Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any advice while I await GP appointment!

(7 Posts)
Toomuch2young Tue 18-Mar-14 13:36:07

So have had a numb hip for a while now, worse when I lie down like a tingling pins and needles especially if i lie on that side. Have ignored it mostly but probably been about 3 months.
The past week it's started to get really sore if i press round my lower back on that side and a constant dull ache.

Yesterday i woke up with very sore lymph nodes on one side of neck and under jaw. I am now panicking slightly. GP receptionist was useless and making me wait for 2 weeks before appointment. Am in general good ish health, long term neuro condition which is stable and a cough which has been around after a virus for a few weeks. No weight loss, good appetite, energy etc.

Am I daft to think bad thoughts of this? And would you insist on seeing earlier or wait??
TIA.

LilRedWG Tue 18-Mar-14 13:37:59

I'd guess at a trapped nerve. Do your surgery not do on-the-day appointments? sad

Toomuch2young Tue 18-Mar-14 13:42:56

Oo, trapped nerve hadn't thought of that. Thanks.
Was thinking horrid tumour pressing on nerve kind of thoughts... But yes a trapped nerve sounds more likely!!
prone to worrying.

Yes but the phone line is engaged from 8 am till 9 daily and when you do get through like today they untrained receptionist tell you it's been going on a while from the sounds of it so can wait hmm.

scaevola Tue 18-Mar-14 13:51:47

Long shot, but it might just be bursitis

NCagain Tue 18-Mar-14 13:59:33

My advice to patients in this situation as always:

-Ask if you can have a telephone appointment with the duty doctor.

-failing that, write (and post) a letter to your GP outlining the history and symptoms as you have done here, and explaining that the receptionist's opinion was that it wasn't urgent and could wait two weeks. Ask politely if there is anything you should be doing in the meantime?

It is possible that the GP knows nothing of your conversation with the receptionist.

Good luck. It is horrid worrying about something when you are in pain.

Matildathecat Tue 18-Mar-14 14:57:17

You absolutely do not need to tell the receptionist what is wrong. I appreciate that they are trying to prioritise but it should not be their role.

'I'd rather not say' is all you need to say.

Telephone consults are good but in your case I would imagine the dr would want to examine you.

Can't think the hip and jaw are linked but happy to stand correctedsmile. Have you had a cold, sore throat or dental infection?

Musicaltheatremum Tue 18-Mar-14 18:54:03

Actually, it's really useful if you tell the receptionist what is wrong. It helps us propioritize the phone call back. The receptionists are really not interested what is wrong but they can often give you pointers as to the best route to take. I get really irritated when patients won't tell the receptionist what is wrong as I can't plan my phone calls. What do you think they actually do with this information? Have a night out on it? They are part of a team and I can assure don't dine out on your problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now