Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone ever had a smear test where...

(15 Posts)
AnneOfCleavage Tue 18-Mar-14 12:02:25

...they made you bleed BUT you didn't have to go back for another one as there was sufficient cells to test?

I absolutely dread that letter coming to say I am due one and have to psyche myself up to go and have the damn test. I have bled before and had to get it redone but with the old method of the scraper but 3 yrs ago they changed to the brush thingy and I was fine but this year even with the brusher (and plastic speculum) she made me bleed.

Can someone reassure me that there is a chance I won't have to go back and have it redone I took a valium to relax me this time as I tense so much the nurse can't do it very well and it helped a bit as it's such an ordeal to me. I know, I know slap me some sense sad

TIA

craftymutha Tue 18-Mar-14 12:10:40

I had a horrendous one a few years back. Blood spattered everywhere! I changed doctors and nurses and things are much better now. My nurse said some people have particularly long vaginas so its hard to reach the cervix - they're basically stabbing around in the dark! She has a special extra long speculum just for those cases. Ask around, see if someone can recommend another surgery where they are sensitive to your issues. totally understand your emotions. Not surprising that you get a bit tense.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 18-Mar-14 12:12:14

My last smear test I bled, but didn't get a recall. I hate them too...

EdwiniasRevenge Tue 18-Mar-14 12:13:01

I bled at my last smear and results came back without any issues.

I was told that the new method is unaffected by blood.

AnneOfCleavage Tue 18-Mar-14 12:18:19

That's encouraging ItsAllGoingToBeFine (and if you're name has anything to go by perhaps this will be a good omen) grin

Sorry you both have had problems too sad

crafty I have never been told I have a long vagina, would they have said if I did? She is quite good as she lets me do some deep breathing and as I exhale she inserts but inevitably she makes me cry as I find keeping my bum on the couch really hard as it's an automatic response to lift and she's like 'keep your bottom on the couch' and I'm like 'I'm trying to yeeeouuuch'. Didn't cry this time as probably the valium helped (borrowed one from someone so will hate to ask again).

I had it a week ago yesterday afternoon and so am nervously awaiting the post now sad

Sparklingbrook Tue 18-Mar-14 12:21:02

I think I have recently read that they can still use the sample even with blood on it due to changes in the way they do it? Can anyone verify this?

AnneOfCleavage Tue 18-Mar-14 12:22:38

Oh I'm feeling a bit more reassured now you've also posted that Edwina

Was told that they can do the test anytime of the month as long as you're not actually bleeding which is why I thought perhaps blood affected it as I have had to have it redone due to nurse making me bleed before.

I will dance such a happy jig if it comes back clear as I'll have 3 glorious long years before the next one is due (I'm near to 40 so quite a few ahead of me to cope with yet so the least amount of recalls the better)

thanks for all your replies so far.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 18-Mar-14 12:25:08

I had bleeding after my last smear and the results were all fine, no need to re-do or anything.

Fingers crossed you don't need to go back smile

craftymutha Tue 18-Mar-14 14:32:38

i suppose it depends on whether they get a decent cell sample. sounds like the blood doesn't cause an issue but if the blood is caused because they are hunting for the cells and don't find them, they'll need to try again. i'm sure they won't as your nurse sounds competent. if you do have to go back its worth asking about 'length'. i was almost forty when nurse told me...she did also tell me she could tell from the length of my upper leg (femur) so perhaps she's just mad!! i'd seen gynos for colposcopys in my teens and had regular smears in twenties and thirties but it was one nurse at particular gp that seemed to struggle. good luck. really hope results come back and they're all good. smile

Impatientismymiddlename Tue 18-Mar-14 14:34:41

I bled and it came back fine. The nurse did day that the test is less affected by blood cells now, but that they can still affect it. She gave mine a good shake to separate the blood from the other cells and it came back ok and I didn't need a further test.

Nocomet Tue 18-Mar-14 14:40:47

Yes, they have changed the method. I gave up bothering because I got recalled every single time. (Nurse recons I have mild cervical erosion probably from living on the minipill.)

Now I can go even go mid cycle like your supposed to (which was a guaranteed recall) and there is no problem.

RnB Tue 18-Mar-14 15:16:14

I've had one where I needed to go back after bleeding and one where I haven't

AnneOfCleavage Sat 22-Mar-14 10:06:15

Yippee!!! Results have come back 'normal' so no retest needed after all grin
I am so happy and can enjoy a lovely weekend with the biggest smile on my face grin

Seems they can test even with blood so I can dread them a fraction less than I do already. 2017 seems an age away - phew.

Thanks for all your replies thanks

Sparklingbrook Sat 22-Mar-14 10:06:55

Brilliant Anne. cake brew smile

AnneOfCleavage Sun 23-Mar-14 09:17:22

Ah, thanks Sparkling smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now