Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tonsillitis - what to do?

(5 Posts)
tubaplayer Tue 18-Mar-14 10:33:28

My throat and tonsils are very sore and covered in while pus-filled spots (lovely!). According to the NHS choices website, antibiotics don't tend to be given for tonsillitis now and so a trip to the doctors would be pointless. Is this right? Has anyone had tonsillitis recently? Do I just need to get on with it?

jojane Tue 18-Mar-14 10:40:21

Joining in the pity party. I have tonsillitus too, had it since Sunday and it's bloody painful. I too have googled and decided no point in doctors as even if I could get an appointment this side of Easter and sat in the waiting room for an hour + past my appointment time with a lively toddler all they would do is say take pain relief, rest and plenty of fluids.
I can't eat anything which is making me knackered but am finding milkshake is going down ok if it's really cold out of the fridge

whatonearthisthis Tue 18-Mar-14 11:31:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tubaplayer Tue 18-Mar-14 12:20:22

Well, I was feeling so rough that I looked at the NHS24 flowchart thing, and the recommendation was to see a doctor. So I phoned them up to check and, yes, they said to make an appointment with the duty doctor. So I phoned my surgery and they saw me straight away and I now have penicillin. Still confused over the contradictory information on the internet though. Thanks for the advice whatonearthisthis, I'm going to try a salt water gargle now.Jojane I really hope you feel better soon, it's especially hard with little ones jumping around.

turkeyboots Tue 18-Mar-14 12:23:56

I always get antibiotics for spotty tonsils, but not for non spotty ones. I think non-spotty must be viral and the other more bacterial, but am no doctor just a regular sufferer of tonsilitis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now