Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

BCG jab- I don't want it twice! help!

(2 Posts)
sunnysunchild Tue 18-Mar-14 07:25:36

I'm a 1st yr student nurse and occy health are insisting that I have a BCG jab, although I've already had it!
I had the jab at school aged 13, but have no visible scar on my arm.
I definitely had it as I remember the drama. But as you can't see a scar the uni are inisting I have it again. I can't 'prove' I had it as there is no record on medical records at all and I now live in a different region of the UK (and was 20 yrs ago)

Is having it again going to harm me? I'm not scared or jabs, but really don't an unnecessary vaccine!
Any thoughts anyone?
Thank you! X

GoAndDoSomeWork Tue 18-Mar-14 07:35:44

See the NHS website - google BCG immunity test - they should do this before re-vaccinating

From website: How to tell if you're already immune to TB

Before you have the BCG vaccination, you should be tested to see if you are already immune to TB. This test, which is called the tuberculin skin test, or Mantoux test, should be carried out before the BCG vaccination if someone is:
six years or over
a baby or child under six with a history of residence or a prolonged stay (more than three months) in a country with an annual TB incidence of 40 per 100,000 or more
those who have had close contact with a person with known TB
those who have a family history of TB within the last five years
The Mantoux test checks whether you have a TB infection or disease. This is necessary as many people can become infected with the bacteria that cause TB but do not develop any symptoms.
The test involves injecting a substance called purified protein derivative (PPD) tuberculin into your skin. If you have immunity to TB, your skin will be sensitive to PPD tuberculin and a hard red bump will develop at the site of the injection, usually within 48 to 72 hours of having the test.
If you develop this reaction (a positive test result) you should not be vaccinated, as you already have some immunity to TB. In this case, the BCG vaccine would have no clinical benefit and may cause unpleasant side effects.
If the test is negative, you can go ahead and have the BCG vaccine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now