Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Denture wearers......help please.

(7 Posts)
Iseeall Sat 15-Mar-14 16:30:48

On Monday I became the proud owner/wearer of a partial denture, please tell me it gets better.
It is my three upper right back teeth. I feel like I have a lego block in my mouth, as I slurp, suck and lisp. I can drink lukewarm tea but eating is impossible at the moment.
The dentist did say it would take a while to get used to it but wouldn't say how long(we all differ) and said my gums will need to get used to the denture.
Please tell me how long it was before you could eat, drink and talk normally.
Any hints or tips welcome.

RafaellaNhaKyria Sat 15-Mar-14 23:38:13

I work for a dentist, and from what I can tell some people get used to it in a couple of days while some take a couple of weeks. It's a bit like developing a habit; in a short amount of time your brain is going to forget this is a new thing and cease to notice it. It's rare that someone just can't adapt, but sometimes it does take a little longer.

LightastheBreeze Sun 16-Mar-14 09:29:22

I have a lower one and you do get used to it for talking and don't lisp after a couple of days.

There are some things i do avoid eating, like crisps in case bits get stuck under and I am much more conscious of what I eat mostly when out with friends, in case it gets stuck on some food or I get stuff underneath and have a denture crisis (It dislodges in public) grin .

I don't think I will ever completely get used to mine as obviously it will always be a foreign object in my mouth but mine is bigger with 6 lower teeth on it spread from one side to the other sad

Hulahooploopytunes Sun 16-Mar-14 12:23:50

Hi I've got upper denture (front teeth sad)
I spent a lot if time singing in the bath to get used to it...also I started out using a gel like denture fix and realised this made it worse when I swapped to the granules.
Now I don't stick mine in & even my own family forget I have dentures if it comes up!

Will need a bottom denture soon...not looking forward to that...I have had advanced periodontitis since I was 18 so have done well to get so far with the majority of my own teeth!

Hulahooploopytunes Sun 16-Mar-14 12:28:07

Sorry forgot to say it was about a week or two until I mastered everything...I don't take them out other than for cleaning (not ideal from the dentists point of view but I can't sleep without my teeth!) and I think this helped in terms of my mouth accepting them ifyswim.
Also as I don't glue mine in I'm more careful when eating but don't have an issue re bits underneath as I can easily whip them out (in private!) and clean them off!

Hulahooploopytunes Sun 16-Mar-14 12:28:14

Sorry forgot to say it was about a week or two until I mastered everything...I don't take them out other than for cleaning (not ideal from the dentists point of view but I can't sleep without my teeth!) and I think this helped in terms of my mouth accepting them ifyswim.
Also as I don't glue mine in I'm more careful when eating but don't have an issue re bits underneath as I can easily whip them out (in private!) and clean them off!

GoodnessIsThatTheTime Sun 16-Mar-14 12:28:19

I need to stick mine in - but then I forget about it smile

It does take a while to get used to a new one but it should start to feel just like your own. If it doesn't fit after a few weeks do go back to the dentist and they can make adjustments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now