Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast lumps - terified

(28 Posts)
Milkmachinemadness Fri 14-Mar-14 14:20:00

So just been to GP, he has found two lumps which are mobile , which he couldn't feel before. He won't refer me to breast clinic until I stop breast feeding. DD is 20 months. I don't feel ready to stop yet but i won't be reassured until I have . I feel that was just a waste of time

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 14-Mar-14 15:37:27

See another GP and ask for a second opinion/referral. Chances are it's nothing but from experience I know you won't feel totally relaxed until you know what they are.

Milkmachinemadness Fri 14-Mar-14 18:27:15

Yes I spose that's what I must do , I'm just so scared sad

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 14-Mar-14 19:15:52

I had a lump in my breast at the end of last year, I still have it actually as I was given the all clear at the breast clinic.

Once you get the ball rolling with referrals etc you'll feel a bit more relaxed.

Milkmachinemadness Fri 14-Mar-14 19:21:35

I'm sure it's nothing as he couldn't feel any lumps the week before ? Even though I could which is y I was there ! I feel like my world has collapsed , I've been to breast clinic twice already last year , he won't refer me now till I give up bfeeding - easier said then done sad

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 14-Mar-14 19:22:38

Did he say why? I'd ask for a second opinion, seems irresponsible not to refer?

Milkmachinemadness Fri 14-Mar-14 19:32:33

Because he said there's only a certain amount of times they can refer? And that he thinks its cynical ? Menstral related ?

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 14-Mar-14 19:51:59

That's ridiculous! I've been referred three times.

I was advised to have a period and see what happens and was referred when it hadn't gone.

PartyConfused Fri 14-Mar-14 19:57:05

If he thinks it's related to your cycle, then go at a different time. Ie in a couple of weeks.
I was at the breast clinic earlier in the week and I'm now waiting for an ultrasound. Even though all was very positive and reassuring at the clinic, I am still bricking it. I just wish I wasn't waiting again. It's horrible isnt it sad

Milkmachinemadness Fri 14-Mar-14 20:05:20

It's shit sad think the prob is all the ads on tv/radio etc telling us to check when breasts are so lumpy anyway , think they should do routine checks for us like smears . I have anxiety about my health too so think he wasn't taking it seriously , I'm really worried now sad he Said "do you feel reassured now?" We'll actually I bloody well don't !

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 14-Mar-14 20:21:41

I have health anxiety too. It's terrible isn't it? I was a routine referral so was over a month wait for the appointment.

Definitely see another GP. I refuse to see a certain one after the way her attitude towards me changed when she saw anxiety in my notes. Totally unprofessional.

FrequentFlyerRandomDent Fri 14-Mar-14 20:30:12

Do you have private health care via your work or DH's work?

A private scan could be an option.

Otherwise, call la leche league? Maybe they have a list of scan technicians experienced with scanning breastfeeding mothers and able to tell the difference between blocked ducts and something more alarming.

It can be a lot of things, not all bad. I had a lump when breastfeeding one of mine and it turned out to be a lipoma, so nothing bad, but always worth checking.

Milkmachinemadness Fri 14-Mar-14 20:30:54

Yes blooming awful , drains me. I don't like this GP when I asked for meds for my anxiety he told me he thinks I should ride it out hmm

NormHonal Fri 14-Mar-14 20:32:33

I'm sure it will be fine. I got referred about 3 or 4 times with lumps when bfing and all were blocked ducts. One had to be drained but it was all ok.

Take care x

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 14-Mar-14 20:36:02

November and December last year were physically and mentally draining with it. I had one appointment with a therapist but by the time that had come round I'd had my appointment so I'd calmed down.

Write off that GP.

Milkmachinemadness Fri 14-Mar-14 20:41:19

Normhonal , I've had ultra sounds and all come back clear ? Never said blocked duct or anything? Just nothing seen? Don't wannabe I'm waiting for counselling , don't know if I can go through the breast clinic again sad I'm hoping it will disappear and go away ...... But I know it won't sad

DontWannaBeObamasElf Fri 14-Mar-14 20:52:25

The therapist I saw had worked as a psychiatric nurse. Her advice was "Think to yourself it could be something but it also could be nothing." So I hope your appointment is better than that! I left feeling a bit perplexed.

Milkmachinemadness Fri 14-Mar-14 20:55:43

Yea defiantly , I dunno what I'm doing at the moment sad

NormHonal Fri 14-Mar-14 20:56:29

((((OP))))

I should add that the first few times, I was referred to one hospital/clinic and had a diabolical experience. The last time, I got referred elsewhere and it was fantastic, totally different experience, I was seen and mind put at rest very fast.

Is there any way you can get to another GP or go private?

Milkmachinemadness Fri 14-Mar-14 21:01:20

I have been to breast consultant whom said it was modular tissue and to come back 2months after I've stopped bfeeding but sent me for ultrasound anyway all clear , 2ns time sent to breast pain nurse again ultrasound all clear ? I don't know y consultant wants me to go back after bfeeding ? This scares me a lot sad can't afford private sad

ImperialBlether Sat 15-Mar-14 15:45:10

The thing is, OP, presumably you are still breastfeeding because you believe it's best for your child.

What is actually best for your child is that you take care of your health. That, in the end, is what matters to your child.

I'm speaking from the point of view of someone who breastfed for a similar length of time, so I'm not against prolonged breastfeeding.

Milkmachinemadness Sat 15-Mar-14 16:57:57

I am too scared to go back sad I think they want me back when I've stopped bfeeding cause they know something is there , I'm really scared now

ImperialBlether Sat 15-Mar-14 17:04:41

Now think about it. If they really thought it was something serious, do you really think they would leave it for an indefinite period of time? For all they know you might be planning to breastfeed for years yet.

Breastfeeding can make breasts feel lumpy, so it can be difficult to tell what's going on.

I think you should be reassured by the fact they're letting you finish breastfeeding in your own time. Please don't panic.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sat 15-Mar-14 17:06:21

Milk I have suffered from health anxiety so I understand exactly the state of mind you are in. It is awful, debilitating and totally takes over your life.

I strongly suspect that the reason they are saying to go back after you have finished feeding, is that these lumps that are coming and going are to do with changes in your breasts related to feeding. If they thought that there was something wrong then you would be being seen and investigated, not told to go away and come back at some undecided point in the future.

What you need to get treated for is the health anxiety. Go and see a different GP and push for treatment for the anxiety.

Milkmachinemadness Sat 15-Mar-14 17:18:23

I just wish I didn't have breasts , I went through all this last year and it ruined two of my holidays sad Gp wouldn't put me on any meds as I'm bfeeding , hence y I feel. He is really trying to push me to stop which is making me more paranoid. It's embarrassing keep going there as now all over my notes will be anxiety this and that so I feel they won't taker seriously . Thank you for chatting to me . I will see if my my mum can come with me and speak to them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now