Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any dentists around?

(5 Posts)
thwinka Fri 14-Mar-14 13:32:12

Hi, was hoping for some advice from any dentists, or actually anyone who has any knowledge on the subject really! I went for a dental check up a couple of weeks ago as I had a very sore tooth. That has been sorted now(hopefully) but what's bugging me is that I'm not sure how well a job he has done with the check up and whether he has done it properly? It only took him 2 mins to check my teeth which seems very quick?
But, also I have a very thin line of plaque/tarter around the bottom of my 4 back teeth? I'm concerned as to why the dentist has not cleaned this away and I am worried as to whether he is looking after my teeth properly? Is it normal to just leave it? These teeth also appear to have a slight grey line where the tarter ends? I know this probably seems really minor but I have just had to have a root canal and so I am very keen to keep my teeth as healthy as poss and not have to go through that again!! I'm not sure if I'm being a bit nit picky with my dentist blush

ilovepowerhoop Fri 14-Mar-14 13:37:18

you would normally book a separate appointment for a scale and polish if you want plaque/tartar removed (well that how they work it here anyway)

thwinka Fri 14-Mar-14 13:48:51

Thanks ilovepowerhoop But should a dentist have alerted me to the problem and suggested treatment? I have doubts about the dentist I am with at the moment tbh which is also why I'm asking. He is NHS so I don't want to leave his practise unless I know for sure that he isn't particularly doing a thorough job as NHS dentists are very hard to find round here

ilovepowerhoop Fri 14-Mar-14 13:54:53

yes my dentist would normally advise that a scale and polish is required

Mrsmorton Fri 14-Mar-14 17:20:12

You don't necessarily need this cleaned off in order to secure your oral health so unless you asked for it, he might not think you want or need it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now