Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does eating fish make your bits smell of fish?

(16 Posts)
Fishyfanny Thu 13-Mar-14 16:22:17

Because it seems to with me. I had a fish supper last night & now I honk of fish from the minge region. It's horrible!
I've noticed this before. Please tell me it's not just me?

MissMilbanke Thu 13-Mar-14 16:23:07

I think it's just you...

MistletoeBUTNOwine Thu 13-Mar-14 16:23:58

I've found it to be the case with onions confusedblush

MistletoeBUTNOwine Thu 13-Mar-14 16:28:26

Ooh, are you a troll fishy?
shockshockshock

UriGeller Thu 13-Mar-14 16:30:21

No that's called Bacterial Vaginosis dear. Get thee to a doctor posthaste.

Fishyfanny Thu 13-Mar-14 16:32:11

I promise you I'm not a troll. I have name changed though. Well, wouldn't you?!
I've had BV before. And that was a slightly different smell (TMI?)
This happens very specifically after I eat fish. It must be to do with that.

ThatBloodyWoman Thu 13-Mar-14 16:33:48

hmm

dobedobedo Thu 13-Mar-14 16:34:11

Did you drop some fish on your fanny, maybe there's a fish flake stuck in some pubes?

FannyFifer Thu 13-Mar-14 16:38:06

It happens to my DD as well if she eats a lot of fish.

Not uncommon.
vaginapagina.livejournal.com/9347211.html

susiedaisy Thu 13-Mar-14 16:38:08

If I eat garlic onions or curry type spices. The following day if I sweat a lot at work or the gym when I go to have a wee my bits do smell of those particular odours. Can't say I've ever noticed it with fish or seafood. We do sweat out certain odours depending on what we eat. Also asparagus makes a person urine smell strong the following day.

IdaArnold Thu 13-Mar-14 16:39:44

It may be bacterial vaginosis. Or it could be a condition called fish odour syndrome (really). People with FOS have a compromised ability to metabolise trimethylamine - a compound found in fish, and also other foods e.g. eggs I think. As a result they excrete this compound in their sweat etc and it smells of rotten fish. Its a genetic condition, if you inherit two copies of the gene (one from each parent) you get the full blown FOS. But if you have just one copy of the gene you can have a milder form where you may just have fishy smelling vaginal discharge when you eat fish.

Have you always had this or just recently?

FannyFifer Thu 13-Mar-14 16:41:47

Nah just quite common to smell a bit fishy after eating fish.
More folk with same prob. grin

www.healthboards.com/boards/womens-health/516977-i-have-strange-question-involves-seafood-my-vagina.html

Twighlightsparkle Thu 13-Mar-14 20:51:28

Yes me! I've never asked or told anyone about it!

I'm sure it's not an infection as it is only there for a day after I eat fish!

I now avoid fish.

Glad it's not just me, only began in my early 30's.

wonderingwendy Sat 22-Mar-14 11:48:52

I have this and I think its tmau or a version of it
I can't eat fish , bread, nuts, cauliflower, broccoli , peas, eggs, beef steak the list goes on but the smell always seems to be coming from vagina even though im very clean.been to gp so many times and fobbed every time and been tested for everything except for tmau .I was told im imagining it but even my kids notice the smell.since I have cut .those food out I rarely suffer with it.

apermanentheadache Sat 22-Mar-14 20:50:20

Yes me too, and also DD. It's not fish odour syndrome/ TMAU, nor BV, as it only occurs after eating fish. I think it is quite common. I wouldn't worry.

lennonj Sat 22-Mar-14 21:09:43

Me too! Only notice it when I get in shower the next morning, then it seems to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now