Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

The doctor things I might have shingles

(7 Posts)
Fifyfomum Thu 13-Mar-14 14:45:24

I have a horrible sharp pain in my back, it doesn't seem to be stretchable and it is just constantly there and really hard to deal with. He has given me loads of codeine and paracetamol to take but it isn't touching it, I am also taking ibuprofen. He said because of the placement it might well be shingles and to expect and look for an outbreak in the next week or so.

urgh.

PandaNot Thu 13-Mar-14 14:57:16

If he thinks it might be shingles and you don't have the rash yet he should be giving you anti-viral medication. Go back and ask, it will significantly shorten the severity of it. My dh has had it 3 times now. hmm

ihatethecold Thu 13-Mar-14 14:57:36

My dd10 had it before Xmas,
She kept saying her sides hurt.
A few days later she had the tell tale rashes front and back.
I had to tell the school because of pregnant teachers.
She wasn't unwell with it. I just gave her calpol.
I think adults feel the illness more than kids.
Hope you don't suffer with it too badly.

flowerpowergirl Thu 13-Mar-14 15:00:55

Poor you. I would get back to the doctor. Shingles can be v contagious to those with low immunity/ who have not had the virus so you need to know if that's what you have. My DS had it at age 7. Really painful so I sympathise. But the medication can help. Good luck!

TalkToFrank Thu 13-Mar-14 15:05:12

Panda, if your DH has had it three times in a few years it might be worth getting his immune system checked more thoroughly. I was told that getting shingles twice within ten years warranted further investigation.

Fifyfomum Thu 13-Mar-14 15:14:41

He has given me some warning signs to look out for, seemed reticent to give me anti-virals unless I got some other symptoms, its just the placement of the back ache and the severity of it that has made him think that is what it might be.

He was kind enough to see me really quickly which I am thankful for. The tablets have made me a bit sleepy now and thankfully the pain has eased some what.

The problem is I Have to work, I have a demanding job and there is no way I can afford not to work right now, zero contract hours mean no sick pay.

Oh well I can deal with drowsy better than I can deal with the sharp stabby pain.

Thank you for the sympathy, really need it!

PandaNot Thu 13-Mar-14 15:24:43

TalktoFrank yes he's had many investigations and he's otherwise healthy so it's a bit of a mystery why shingles like him so much! They've kind of said it's due to stress but I think this is because they can't think of anything else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now