Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Crohn's disease in pain

(9 Posts)
InPainWhatToDo Thu 13-Mar-14 07:59:59

Namechanged for this as I don't wait people to put 2 and 2 together and find out who I am.

I have Crohn's disease and have been having flare ups on and off since October. I have been unable to see my consultant during this time as he has claimed that he has too many patients so has been giving me advice over the phone and told me to increase or decrease my usual medication where I see fit. I have complained about this to my GP who said he would get me an appointment with him and refer me elsewhere in the long run but hasn't.

This week has been up and down but at the moment I'm in a lot of pain. (This part may be TMI so you might want to skip) I have been bleeding every time I go to the bathroom and feel drowsy.

My GP has no appointments today. I don't know whether I should just go to the A&E dept. at the hospital so I could at least see a doctor. I won't be able to take any more days off of work. WWYD?

InPainWhatToDo Thu 13-Mar-14 08:00:39

That should read "don't want people..." Not wait.

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 13-Mar-14 08:08:10

Yes I would go to a and e. Have you ran out of sick days or has your sick note ended? Hope you're ok x

InPainWhatToDo Thu 13-Mar-14 13:34:41

Thank you, I haven't actually yet been as I was so drained and needed to sleep, but I am going to make my way up there soon. It's more a case of missing too much than anything really. I know I should worry about my health first but I'm concerned about my workload piling up in my absence. Thank you for your concern though

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 13-Mar-14 13:53:48

I'm off too at the minute and know where you're coming but honestly we shouldn't let our worries stop us taking the time to rest and start to feel better. Hope you get seen today op

gobbin Thu 13-Mar-14 17:34:02

I have Crohns. How much blood are you passing and how long since it started? If small amounts/for a short time I'd take to my bed for a few days and up my meds. I wouldn't worry about work, absolutely nobody is indespensible, whatever it is will keep. If things get missed, tough. Work should have strategies in place to cover you.

If you've been bleeding significantly or for a longer period of time, I would ring the GP again and explain that you are mobile but require an urgent appointment. Otherwise, you're going to have to trouble A and E.

If no joy from your GP I'd go to A and E.

ifyouletmefinish Thu 13-Mar-14 17:44:45

Really sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. Please don't worry about work, your health is way more important. If you are bleeding lots you may be very anemic. Mine got so low that a&e freaked out as I was a heart attack candidate. Go to a&e if you feel really poorly,especially if you have done a few days in bed and still feel awful.

Wishfulmakeupping Thu 13-Mar-14 19:13:14

Did you go to a and e OP hope you're ok

MrsPinotGrigio Thu 13-Mar-14 21:56:22

If you are bleeding a lot & can't see your consultant I would just go to A&E. Do you have an IBD nurse? If so can you speak to them? I have Crohns & have called the nurse a few times when I was having symptoms & pain & she has arranged appointments with the consultant for me. Hope you get it sorted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now