Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Oil burn on my hand – how should I treat it?

(7 Posts)
eastdulwichbedwetter Wed 12-Mar-14 16:34:42

Don’t deep fat fry prawn crackers while drinking champagne!

Anyway, there are largish bits of my hand affected, a few patches 4cms long, 1 cm wide and a few splash marks where the skin has broken. Basically one side of my hand is a red angry mess. It is a bit painful but not too bad.

It was a few days ago and I’ve put Dermatix silicone gel left over from my c-section on the unbroken bits.

Should I be doing anything else? People at work surprised I’ve not seen a doctor. But I was working this weekend and now and have two children so it’s really hard!

Sidge Wed 12-Mar-14 16:44:30

Please see a GP or the practice nurse at your GP surgery.

Proper assessment and dressings will be needed.

eastdulwichbedwetter Wed 12-Mar-14 16:47:50

even if there are only two of area (size of a lentil and a chickpea) which are broken, the other marks are just red marks.

Many thanks

canyou Wed 12-Mar-14 17:14:39

I am a chef so this will be the worst advice every --I cannot afford €60 everyone I burn myself--blush but I would keep it clean and dry some tea tree cream if it was a bad burn (bigger then a stamp) may be medical advice from a chemist if I was concerned hospital only if it was a partial thickness burn with los of feeling blush blush blush

Sidge Wed 12-Mar-14 18:48:22

eastdulwich I would still see someone. Any loss of tissue should be seen really, and larger areas of redness can still benefit from appropriate dressings.

coffeeandcream Wed 12-Mar-14 18:58:03

I work in a hospital (I'm non medical btw) with a burns unit. You really need this treated. If you get an infection it will be really nasty, you don't want to go there. Seek proper medical advice from GP or hospital, and stop putting non prescribed gunk on it.

Hope you heal soon!

nickelbabe Wed 12-Mar-14 19:06:06

can't help with what you should do now, but for future reference, the 10 minutes dunked in cold water would have been the correct treatment.

but yes, you really do need to go to the doctor

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now