Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Has anyone had an endoscopy? What happens?

(10 Posts)
CocktailQueen Wed 12-Mar-14 14:22:32

Is it sore? How do you not gag? how long does it take?

Have been referred for one due to persistent lump-in-throat feeling.

Thanks if anyone can advise.

KurriKurri Wed 12-Mar-14 15:20:17

I'm due to have one soon, so watching with interest! - I did have one years ago but I was sedated and don't remember a thing about it. I'vebeen told they spray something on your throat to numb it so that you don't gag, and been told that your throat may be a bit sore afterwards.

Elibean Wed 12-Mar-14 16:02:31

I had one under general anaesthetic (short acting) so have no idea blush

But dh had one recently, with normal sedation and throat spray, and he found it amazingly easy. He remembers gagging very slightly for a milisecond but it was not upsetting or awful at all (and he is a man, remember grin) and he rather enjoyed the sedation...

He had the same symptoms as you, OP, and it was reflux related - hiatus hernia. I also have a HH but not at all the same symptoms.

Kurri - taking the sneaky opportunity to send a big fat hug and wave, not seen you for a while and missed you!

KurriKurri Wed 12-Mar-14 16:25:45

Thanks Elibean - sending wave and hugs back to you my dear. - A little bird called MaryAnn told me you have just had a birthday - so many happy returns smile

Apologies for hijack OP -I hope everything goes well for you, and they find out what the problem is - mine is for possible stomach ulcer - but I've been waiting for quite a few weeks for an appointment - it hasn't come yet!

CocktailQueen Wed 12-Mar-14 16:26:37

Thanks Elibean, and good luck Kurri!

dottyaboutstripes Wed 12-Mar-14 17:05:38

I had one a few months ago - I'd actually forgotten about the throat spray. I had sedation and felt like a gagged through the whole thing but it was over incredibly quickly and they were all very kind to me (I was a little freaked out beforehand)
Good luck - it's not so bad at all

gobbin Wed 12-Mar-14 18:23:54

I had one a few years ago without sedation. The actual endoscope was in place for a very short time, around five minutes, although the faffing about before meant I was in the room about 15 mins.

I had the throat spray to numb the throat and had been advised by someone else to 'remember to keep breathing', which was the most useful bit of advice! This sounds weird, but because your mouth is open very wide your focus is on that and you consciously have to remember to breathe through your nose.

It wasn't the most pleasant procedure I've had as I felt very 'invaded', more so than having a colonoscopy or anything vaginal, but it was't painful. The endoscopy team were quick, efficient and entertaining!

fadingfast Wed 12-Mar-14 21:22:49

I had one about 18 months ago. I was really nervous about it and found it quite unpleasant but not painful, more invasive. I would recommend the sedation as I felt quite detached from things, and it was all over quite quickly. I gagged all the way through it, but I don't think they gave me any throat spray. Good luck.

Jakadaal Wed 12-Mar-14 21:35:39

I had one about 2 years ago and opted for conscious sedation as I really didn't think I could cope with it and was frightened I would fight it iyswim. I honestly can't remember a thing about it - I recall some pushing sensation internally and then hearing a 'gushing/gagging' sound when they removed the scope but I was so removed from it all that it was only hindsight that says it was me making that noise!

It was so painless I would not necessarily look forward to having another one but I would not be worried.

Hope all goes well OP

CocktailQueen Thu 13-Mar-14 09:38:52

Oh, thanks, everyone. Much appreciated smile x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now