Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sciatic nerve agony - any tips?

(17 Posts)
minxthemanx Wed 12-Mar-14 07:02:13

Fell over on golf course (!) last October and banged base of back hard, bit uncomfortable down sciatic nerve afterwards but I didn't do anything about it. Last couple of weeks it has suddenly become very, very painful and was awake most of the night with the pain. Struggling to walk properly, hurts from base of back all the way down to foot. Tried doing some stretching exercises specifically for releasing sciatic nerve, seems to have made it a whole lot worse! Will try to see GP tomorrow but I'm not convinced they can do a lot for this? Anyone had any good treatment?

Matildathecat Wed 12-Mar-14 12:28:49

Sympathy from me. Come and join us on The Back thread.

What helps me is rest, heat, drugs and support form others. Happy to elaborate if you are interested.

Injections have helped me a bit and others a lot but have shortish efficacy for me.

See you on the other thread. Lots of knowledgeable ladies on there.smile

Miggsie Wed 12-Mar-14 12:31:39

ok - I had sciatica in both legs - I was often crawling.

Acupuncture got the pain bearable then I got an osteopath and then did Alexander technique to improve my posture - never had sciatica since - that was 10 years ago

CiderwithBuda Wed 12-Mar-14 12:40:58

Chiropractor. Sorted mine. Am still going for other stuff now too. Having acupuncture with him too.

minxthemanx Wed 12-Mar-14 17:37:52

Thanks ladies. I did, have sciatic pain years ago, and remember yoga sorted it where an osteopath hadn't been able to; unfortunately I can't see myself fitting yoga classes into daily, life. I can remember the stretches but as I said, they seem to have made it, worse. Will see gp tomorrow, and maybe find chiropractor.

Matildathecat Wed 12-Mar-14 18:30:32

You need an MRI to find out what's wrong. Whether you can persuade your GP to refer you is another matter. Tears help.

minxthemanx Wed 12-Mar-14 19:18:46

I would like an MRI or something. Have a curvature of the spine which I reckon doesn't help, and would like a proper assessment of my back. Been on my feet at work most of the day, walked the dog for an hour after work, and now my sciatic nerve is telling me to frigging well sit down on sofa. smile

pinkkoala Wed 12-Mar-14 20:07:08

I have had sciatica since last summer, my docs told me 15 wk wait for physio that was december. I am in constant pain, in back, calfs, hip and now my feet hurt. I am a care assistant so spend lots of time on my feet and its physical so makes my babk worse. At the mo docs just seem to brush it off but i really want it sorted now. Any suggestions. Do you think i should go back to docs.

RockinD Wed 12-Mar-14 20:39:49

Instead of heat, try ice. 10 minutes four times a day. You may find it is more effective. Otherwise keep moving and stretch regularly.

Doctors generally don't seem to be too good at backs. You may be better going straight to a properly qualified sports massage therapist, or an osteopath.

Cigarettesandsmirnoff Wed 12-Mar-14 20:41:27

Yogalaties and stretching physio worked wonders for me. I couldn't even lie down, sit stand with out it sending shooting pains down my legs and back.

angeltulips Wed 12-Mar-14 20:47:00

Don't stretch, it makes it worse

Take painkillers regularly (instead of taking them when you feel pain, iyswim) - every few hours

Rest as much as possible

And if it doesn't start easing in a couple of weeks, go and see a doctor.

Matildathecat Wed 12-Mar-14 22:22:54

As before join the back story. Lots of support there.

minxthemanx Thu 13-Mar-14 07:19:24

Thanks ladies, I will join Back thread! Thanks for the tips.

minxthemanx Thu 13-Mar-14 20:16:17

Saw my very lovely GP tonight (50 minutes late but she's so worth the wait). She doesn't think it's sciatica - I've had a lot of pain in the opposite shoulder,. elbow, arm etc and had an ultrasound last week which has shown a buspar (?). She thinks it's odd that have pain in base of back as well and leg. Sending me for blood tests, RA and lupus. Really hope it isn't. sad

minxthemanx Thu 13-Mar-14 20:18:07

bursitis, not buspar.

ZingSweetMango Thu 13-Mar-14 20:19:55

I recommend going to an osteopath - choose one recommended to you by word of mouth.

if you live in/near Surrey I can PM you the details of the one I go to.
he is fantastic

minxthemanx Thu 13-Mar-14 20:40:05

Thanks, a friend has recommended one. I'll wait and see what blood tests say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now